Author Topic: Merchant Navy: were there two Captains Patrick R Kerr?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy: were there two Captains Patrick R Kerr?
« on: Friday 30 November 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Patrick Richard Ross Kerr, born Liverpool in 1823, son of David Kerr and his wife Janet Ross who were married in Burntisland, Fife in 1817. Patrick Richard Ross Kerr married Annie Meldrum, born 3 May 1830 in Kirkcaldy, daughter of John Meldrum, merchant in Kirkcaldy, and his wife Jean Sang. He died on 24 October 1882 in Broughty Ferry. I have him in the 1871 and 1881 censuses, in Aberdour, Fife and Monifieth, Angus respectively, but have failed to find him in any earlier census, or his wife in 1861 (she was staying with her widowed mother in 1851).

He seems likely to be the Patrick Richard Kerr whose register ticket no 413873 was issued at Liverpool on 2 June 1848, though the following columns with details of his voyages are all blank..

The marriage announcements in the newspapers describe him as Commander of the ship 'Wanderer' of Leith.

In October 1850, 'Wanderer', Kerr, was reported at lat 43, long 62, on her way to St John, New Brunswick.

In 1856 the 'Wanderer', Kerr, reported passing an immense amount of ice on her way to Quebec. 

So far, so good.

However Captain Patrick Richard Kerr of the 'Prince Charlie' (or 'Prince Charley') was a witness in the trial in February 1853 of Alexander Paton for desertion in San Francisco in March 1852.

Is it credible that these are one and the same? And if not, which is the one who passed a Board of Trade examination early in 1850, described as 'second, 'Urania''.

I have tried the National Archives, the Crew List Index Project and Maritime Heritage Archives. Can anyone suggest another source where I might find something relevant?

Was it usual for a captain's wife to accompany her husband on voyages in the 1850s and 1860s?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy: were there two Captains Patrick R Kerr?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Masters & Mates Certificates, there is Patrick Richard Kerr born Liverpool 27 November 1823, which exactly matches the baptism record from the Scotch Secession Church in Liverpool.

He had served on the Fairfield of Liverpool from 9/7/1840 to Feb 1842, next voyage not recorded, then on the Janet of Alloa in 1845/6 , and was verified as chief mate of the Urania of London from 13/11/1848 to 21/11/1849.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
This looks like a possible on the 1861 census address looks like 4,Clifton Villa Camberwell Surrey
Transcribed as Patrick Rera age 37 married  born Liverpool ( brother in law ) ship master
residing with a George Addison age 32 born Scotland and his wife Elizabeth born Liverpool

Rosie

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Both Lloyd's Captains Register and the Mercantile Navy List 1852 gives only one Patrick R Kerr.
Lloyd's C/R gives KERR, Patrick Richard b. Liverpool 1823 2231 Leith 1850
vol.9 1851-1863, 1866-1868, 1871-1872; vol.21 no voyages listed. Both publications gives Certificate number 2231.
Lloyd's Register gives Kerr as Captain of the Leith registered vessel WANDERER from 1850/1851 until 1852/1853. After that date Sellers was Captain and before 1850 Allen most recorded voyages were from Leith to Canadian ports.
Lloyd's Register 1853/54 also records Kerr as master of the Alloa Registered ship PRINCE CHARLEY
Her Crew Agreements for 1852/53 are available from TNA in the series BT 98.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_srt=4&_ep=alloa&_cr=bt98&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

To obtain details of his sea going career from the date he obtained his Mates certificate until his retirement.I would seek his record from Lloyds Captains Register available from London Metropolitan Archives. They have a very good research service.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Could this be his wife in the 1861 census address Mid Street Bathgate West Lothian
Edward Meldrum age 40 born Kirkcaldy ..Manufacturing Chemist
Jane Meldrum age 65 b Kirkcaldy ....Mother
Jane Robertson age 42 b Kirkcaldy ....Sister
Annie Kerr age 28 b Kirkcaldy ...Sister
Jane Christie 49 Ann Dodds 19 Christina Donaldson 16 all servants

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much indeed. Lots there to follow up.

Yes, Rosie, that 1861 census is right, thank you. George Addison married Elizabeth Kerr in Edinburgh in 1848 and their son George Patrick was born in Shoreditch in 1853/1854.

The only question, really, is why the 1856 report in 'The Scotsman' says the master of 'The Wanderer' was Kerr. If that is an error, the rest all falls neatly into place.

I have now also learned that he was in Foo Chow aboard the steamer 'Volunteer' in summer 1864.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Could this be his wife in the 1861 census address Mid Street Bathgate West Lothian
Has to be. I had failed to find her in the index because I searched for her with age 29 to 31 and she is listed as 28 when in fact she was 30 :(

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Has to be. I had failed to find her in the index because I searched for her with age 29 to 31 and she is listed as 28 when in fact she was 30 :(

Yes I would think so maybe the orginal copy on Scotlands People might be worth looking at

Rosie

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 November 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
The only question, really, is why the 1856 report in 'The Scotsman' says the master of 'The Wanderer' was Kerr. If that is an error, the rest all falls neatly into place.

There are multiple shipping reports mentioning "Wanderer, Kerr" between April 1856 and March 1857. I counted 20+ such reports.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk