Author Topic: Rosanna or Rosanne Campbell born 1811 married to Patrick Kealey 1830 ish  (Read 1640 times)

Offline anneannielouise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rosanna or Rosanne Campbell born 1811 married to Patrick Kealey 1830 ish
« on: Friday 30 November 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Any ideas where I might find such early Irish records? They lived in Dungiven but I do not know if they were married there or elsewhere or where Rosanna may have been born though it may have been Antrim.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rosanna or Rosanne Campbell born ca 1800 married to Patrick Kealey ca 1830 ish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 December 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat.
In which county is Dungiven?
What record(s) have you seen which show that they lived in Dungiven? What are the dates of the records?
What makes you think Rosanna/e was born around 1800 and married around 1830?
Who were the children of the marriage? Where and when were they born? Have you found baptisms for any of them?

Do you know religious denomination of Rosanna and Patrick?
Are you looking for the marriage record of Rosanna and Patrick and Rosanna's baptism? You need parish registers.
 Catholic parish registers at the National Library of Ireland https://registers.nli.ie
Have a look at Irish Toolkit website  https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com for advice, tools and resources.
Cowban

Offline anneannielouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rosanna or Rosanne Campbell born ca 1800 married to Patrick Kealey ca 1830 ish
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 December 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Dungiven is a market town in county Derry. They were Catholics. I have a census extract for 1851 (attchmt) showing them as living in Dungiven with their children one of whom was my great grandmother Catherine Kealey O'Neill who also appears in the census in 1901 in Main Street Dungiven. My grandmother is also mentioned in that census as Elizabeth O'Neill McGarry. The photo is of my granny Elizabeth known as 'Lily' or 'Lizzie' O'Neill and her mother Catherine Kealey O'Neill. I have based the 1810/11 date for Rosanna's birth based on that and her death record and their estimated marriage date too - but am open to opinions on that! Catherine is listed as their oldest daughter in that census and was born according to that  in 1837 but there may have been older siblings away from home at that time. I have also used Griffiths Valuation and have found a wedding record for Catherine Kealey and John O'Neill in the NLI online Catholic Church Records for Dungiven, and have found all their children'
s' births and wedding records on the free Irish Genealogy accounts. I have also found the wedding record for John O'Neill's father Hugh O'Neill and his wife Mary Ivor in 1826 on the NLI online Catholic Parish Registers link. I also have found information about those that have emigrated from Ellis Island. I am really interested in finding out where Roseanne may have come from as I have some DNA links that indicate it could be Antrim but have got nowhere with that. Family oral information indicates that the Kealey originated from the Dungiven townland of Killerfaith. I am guessing that they may have got married near Rosanna's family wherever they lived which is believed in the family to have been outside of the Dungiven townlands. The census extract of 1851 has been attached with the names of their children on it. Thank you.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
It might be better to have this thread moved to the Derry board or at least the Ireland board where it might attract attention from people familiar with the topography and who might be able to suggest specific resources. I replied because no one else has so far.  I'll consult a moderator.

Lovely photo. When was it taken?
Cowban

Offline anneannielouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
My granny was born in 1877 and I'd say she was 20 ish then? I think the clothes date it about then too, though I am no expert! That seems like a good idea - or maybe Antrim too as I have no knowledge of how to search for records there really. Thank you very much.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rosanna or Rosanne Campbell born 1811 married to Patrick Kealey 1830 ish
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I asked a moderator if this thread can be moved to the Derry board.
Some people on RootsChat read only threads on topics about which they may have some knowledge or interest. Most enquiries receive at least one reply within a few hours. The first reply often asks for more information.
The Ireland board, like all the others, has a list of resources and links. You may be familiar with many of them. People can suggest new ones.

Have you added your Campbell and Kealey families to Surname Interests? See brown section at foot of this page.
Cowban

Offline anneannielouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 December 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. I have now added the names to the surname database of interests as you suggested, Annie.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 18 01:22 GMT (UK) »
You say that you wonder if Roseann comes from Co. Antrim. However the 1851 census extract gives her place of birth as Keenaght, which is in Co. Londonderry. (There is both a townland and a barony of that name, though people tended to use their townland or parish as their origin in official documents, so I’d be inclined to go for the townland. But either way the place is in Co. Londonderry).

I think you may struggle to find much about her as it’s unlikely there is any record of her baptism. Keenaght townland is in Desertmartin RC parish. Their records don’t start till the 1840s. That’s fairly typical.
Elwyn

Offline anneannielouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 December 18 02:00 GMT (UK) »
The Kealey family did indeed live in Dungiven (Kenaught) as you suggest and they had been there for a while I believe. They later moved to Main Street Dungiven and we have looked long and hard at local records for both Ballynascreen and Dungiven. I think as luck would have it though I have literally just found Rosann (Rosam) in Tyrone! I had a good DNA link with a Campbell there which five of my known Kealey cousins shared so I knew it was through that line somehow.  The records there in Clonoe are quite good it seems for a change! The file is too big for me to share it unfortunately but it is even from the same townland (Derryvale) as my DNA cousin so it seems he is a Campbell cousin after all. Thanks for the help all  : 8)