Author Topic: Need Assistance with Flan (Clarence) Mcadam New Brunswick  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Res7922

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Need Assistance with Flan (Clarence) Mcadam New Brunswick
« on: Friday 30 November 18 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Greeting,

I have been researching my grandfather to find his birth record and father. My grandfather is Basil A. Smith born 22 June 1924 to Mae Rilla Folsom in Monticello Maine. The problem that I have been having is finding a birth record. I have all his other records which state his step father of Abel Smith from New Brunswick. Basil had a sister born Arlene Nellie Mcadam that shows Flan Mcadam as her father from Johnsville New Brunswick. I just finally found Maes first marriage with some help in New Brunswick with no parents of Flan Mcadam Listed only showing that he and his parents were from Ireland. However their is a find a grave for a Flan Mcadam for the exact location that is listed on Arlene Nellies birth record listed for her father but no birthdate. I have not been able to find and birth or death info thus far for Flan McAdam anywhere and would like to confirm the correct one as I have a feeling he may also be my grandfathers father as they were married on 2 Nov 1925 just after he was born thank you.

https://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141B7.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=03154EA0-8729-46AA-8DCB-4A9DBC5989F0

Flan McAdam: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/151062056

1930 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XM8V-Z57

This census my grandfather is listed is Basil A Folson or Folsom at the age of 5 stating he was born in 1925 while his sister shows as Arlene Mcadam with their mother Mae divorced. She remarried to Abel Smith in 1935 and changed all their names to Smith.

1940 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMM2-C69

Basil is now listed as Basil Smith with his fathers birthplace listed as new Brunswick in the supplemental block

Mae's Birth: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VZQ3-NDP

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need Assistance with Flan (Clarence) Mcadam New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 December 18 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Flan McAdams age is 39 on the marriage image so born c1886 for those taking a look. Mae was born c1909.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 December 18 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Flin is recorded as Clarence on a marriage record for Arlene?

Offline Res7922

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 18 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Flan on birth record and Clarence on both of her marriage records.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Flan is an unusual name.

His headstone doesn't agree, but have you considered the death of Flamet Anthony McAdam in 1964,
in New Brunswick. Parents Anthony McAdam and Hannah Riley.
https://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141C5.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=ce3f24d2-95c5-47aa-8d41-75c003c700cf

DB

Offline Res7922

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 December 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I would agree that the first name is very unusual indeed. Finding further information on him has been painstaking thus far with the minimal information on the vital records of my ancestors. This record seems to fit some of the information. I have been trying to find a potential divorce record for him and Mae as she remarried. It would be between 1925 and 1930 as the 1930 census states that Mae is divorced.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 December 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Res7922:

Have you got your grandfather's marriage and death records? If yes, who is listed as his father on those records?

Edited to add:

Have you requested a search for his birth record from the Maine Vital Records office: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/public-health-systems/data-research/vital-records/order/order1.html ?

What religion was May? It's not listed in the 1925 marriage record but Flan is listed as Catholic and they were married in a Presbyterian church. Have you searched for a baptismal record for your grandfather?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 December 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Also, do you know if your grandfather's name was legally changed to Smith or if that's just the surname they all started using after his mother's remarriage? If it was done officially, I wonder if his biological father's name would have been listed on the form?

Did he have a Social Security number? If yes, do you know who was listed as his father on that form?
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Res7922

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
My grandfathers marriage and death records have his stepfather Abel Smith from New Brunswick listed in which his mother Mae married in 1935. I do not know if his name was legally changed to Smith or if it was assumed. I have requested his birth record through the offices of vital records, state archives, Monticello, Littleton, Bridgewater, and Blaine town halls with no record found. Maes Marriage records does not show her religion although I have tried to go that route to find baptismal records. I contacted Maine state archives which they said they do not have. I did recently get his social security number through an FOIA and am waiting for his stepfathers death record to file a release of his security application. The only problem with this is that he may have originally filed after his mother remarried in 1935 which leads me to believe that his stepfather may be listed. Also I have filed for his military records through Maine Veterans Office as his records were part of the 1973 archive fire. I also requested a birth record if available. The weird part about his listed birth date is that it differs in the 1930 and 1940 census records which show him as being born in 1925. Also it has his father listed in 1940 census from New Brunswick whereas in the 1930 its listed as Maine. This is why I am now researching his sisters listed father but there is very minimal information on him.