Author Topic: Thomas Lennox, son of Hugh Lennox and Anne Miller/Millar  (Read 856 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas Lennox, son of Hugh Lennox and Anne Miller/Millar
« on: Saturday 01 December 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
In my Lennox research, I found the birth of Thomas Lennox in 1869 in Drumanee to Hugh Lennox and Anne Miller.  In 1892, this Thomas married Hessie Lennox. My problem is that, according to Dave Bradley, Hugh Lennox and Anne Miller had a son Thomas in 1851 who married Mary Lennox.  Would they name two  sons Thomas? I don't think so. Hugh and Ann were married in 1849 so it is possible according to marriage date. I  don't have a record of  the birth of  the 1851 Thomas to Hugh and Ann although the marriage record of Thomas and Mary in 1885 says his father is Hugh. But who is the mother of Thomas born in 1851?
Thanks for any help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, son of Hugh Lennox and Anne Miller/Millar
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 December 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Is this Thomas Lennox and Mary in 1901?

Ballyronan, Londonderry

Thomas Lennox   b 1851 in County Derry   
Mary Lennox   b 1857 in County Derry
Robert Irwin (nephew) b 1889 in Scotland

Then you have Thomas Lennox and Hessie in 1901 in Rocktown, Londonderry with their children, the whole family born in County London Derry

Could Robert Irwins birth in 1889 in Scotland bring up a female sibling to Thomas Lennox born 1851 for you?

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a Jane Lennox father Hugh a weaver
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10857/5964304.pdf
Difference residence than Thomas but possible one or both weren't living with their parents, more likely Thomas as he was widowed.
There is also a Sarah as witness, a possible sister or cousin.

They all have different addresses
Mary Lennox father Hugh a weaver
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1873/11285/8139962.pdf

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Sinann,  for the marriage links. Someone told me once before not to put a lot of weight on  whether someone was a farmer or a weaver, as many farmers were weavers and vice versa. Also I have found others who changed from farmer to  weaver with the birth of each child.
I am fairly certain that the 1851 Thomas does not belong to Hugh Lennox and Anne Miller. I did find another Hugh, weaver, who had a son Samuel abt 1849 in Lisnamorrow. So I  thought Thomas could  fit there agewise even though I  think he was actually born before 1851. I don't know the mother's name for either Samuel  or Thomas.
Yes, whiteout7, you have found the two Thomas Lennox families in 1901. There is a 20 yr. difference in age. When Thomas married Mary Lennox, he was a widower, and there is a Thomas with father Hugh who married Jane Campbell in 1868 and she died in 1869. Could be same Thomas but there are so many Thomases. I am trying to follow up on Robert Irwin but he could be a nephew to either Thomas Lennox or Mary Lennox. There are 4 Robert Irwins born 1888 and 1889 in Scotland so costly unless I guess right the first time. I didn't notice the  Scotland until you mentioned it whiteout7. I did find a Robert Irwin on the 1911 age 17, born in Lanarkshire but all 4 choices for Robert born in 1888 or 1889 are in Lanarkshire so that doesn't help. Unless if it is the same Robert in 1911, his middle name was George and that eliminates two of the births.
Will keep working on this.
Thanks for your help Sinann and whiteout7. Oh, I just noticed your latest posting Sinann and it is interesting that Mary Lennox who married in 1873 was in Drumena and that is where the aforementioned Samuel born abt 1849 and Samuel died 1873 in Drumenagh and his father was Hugh. When Thomas Lennox married Mary Lennox, daughter of George, it was also in Wood's Chapel. So Thomas, Mary and Samuel could be siblings. I will look to see the name of Mary Kirkwood's first daughter to  see if that might be a clue. Or Jane Pollock's first daughter.
Peggy

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 18 00:39 GMT (UK) »
I have found that Jane Lennox who married William Pollock was a daughter to Hugh Lennox and Anne Millar. Thomas born 1869 who married Hessie Lennox was also a son to this Hugh.
It would seem that Thomas born abt 1851 and Samuel born 1849 belong to a different Hugh, as does a Mary Lennox, but not the Mary Lennox who was Thomas' wife. I have not found this Hugh's wife's name. I am thinking these three belong to the same Hugh but who knows.
Peggy

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 23 23:38 BST (UK) »
There is a Hugh Lennox, married to Sarah Charlton, who were having children between 1843 and 1854. I believe it was their son Thomas, who married Mary Lennox in 1885. Mary Lennox had father George Lennox and sister Annie Lennox who married Henry Irwin in 1886 and they had a son, Robert Irwin in 1888 in Scotland.