Author Topic: Identifying an Australian soldier by his uniform  (Read 3078 times)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying an Australian soldier by his uniform
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Ok, Sylvie born 19 December 1915, but there seems to be something wrong, either with me or the BDM because Gweneth appears each day from 1 January to 31 December.  ???

Also, details of brother William's birth registration now online too:
William J FORDHAM   32176/1918 Waratah

Modified to show that Gweneth's birth registration seems to appear for every day in 1915

Gwen would have loved that! Every day was a birthday to her. She celebrated a sneeze!
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
The man in uniform with the twins is clearly an officer. Sam Browne belt is one clue and there seem to be two pips on his shoulders making him a Lieutenant.

Oh gosh. John James Baker was a Lieutenant. I supposed the girls could be 3 not 4 if they were born in Dec 1915 and John came back in July 1919 - I calculate they would be 3 1/2.
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:19 GMT (UK) »
At the naa.gov.au website there is an index entry showing a separate AIF file not yet digitised for Lieutenant John James BAKER service number 1566 ,  up to 1923  :)   perhaps our OP may wish to organise for its digitisation,  there are fees for that as it is a separate file in a different series to his main B2455 series file.

JM
I went looking for this unopened extra file and can't find it. How do I search for it please? All I get is  the digitised one that I already have.

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:32 GMT (UK) »
The soldier with the twins appears to have a medal ribbon above his left tunic pocket.
Do the military records you have indicate the date of any medal awards?

Tony

I think he received three which I have seen before for other rellies...unless they gave him something special for when he broke his ankle playing footie. I have attached the screenshot. Please note I have trouble understanding some of the handwriting.  :-[

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I think they could easily be 3½ years.

On Wednesday evening last Lieutenant J. J. Baker, after nearly four years active service abroad was given a welcome home at 'Lenora', the residence of his sister, Mrs. A. Fordham, Myola-street, Mayfield.......

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/162567243

Bottom of second highlighted column and continues third column.

Debra  :)

Oh Debra. You are a star. I forgot to search Trobe for JJ Baker instead of John James. How cool! ;D

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I think they could easily be 3½ years.

On Wednesday evening last Lieutenant J. J. Baker, after nearly four years active service abroad was given a welcome home at 'Lenora', the residence of his sister, Mrs. A. Fordham, Myola-street, Mayfield.......

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/162567243

Bottom of second highlighted column and continues third column.

Oh Debra. You are a star. I forgot to search Trove for JJ Baker instead of John James. How cool! ;D

As a quick add on. The house in which they are celebrating is the home of my peeps. i.e. Gwen and Syl's parents Lena and Arthur and their grandfather William Fordham. Thank you so much

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the same man in both photos to me.

Jamjar

Thank you so much for your thoughts - I want them to be but the evidence is hinting they are not. They do look very alike but they still could be cousins or something?  ;)

I think we have established that the chap in the photo with the girls is your Lieutenant John James BAKER..

Photo after his RTA.

JM

Oh JM I think you are very right! Jack is Back! (they called him Jack). Thank you so much everyone. Tonight you have all done a very good thing. You made me and, soon to be told, my cousins ...Very happy!

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 01 December 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I went looking for this unopened extra file and can't find it. How do I search for it please? All I get is  the digitised one that I already have.

Just search with his surname and service number = BAKER 1566

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

They are just his pay files.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 01 December 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
The digitised AIF files are freely available to search for, through, download etc. 
http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/3009867/1  Service Records for Baker, 1566.  Digitised.
Plus there's  http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/4292270/1   Pay File  for Baker, 1566.  Not Digitised, but on open access, so likely they would be available for digitisation on payment of applicable fees.

Re the two official transcriptions of the 1915 Birth Certificates, uploaded to reply # 23.   These definitely confirm the girls were born 15 December 1915, they indicate which lass was the elder, and on the younger one's birth registration you will notice that the record shows she has an older, living sibling...   I do not actually understand why the Opening Post (raised less than ten hours earlier  than reply #23) notes they were born ... between June and December 1915. ...   
His identity is a bit of a family mystery and I would be thrilled if it could be solved. I had already posted a request on the beginners' board a few years ago and they were amazing with their information and guidance which included a link to this board.

Re: Gweneth Lydia Fordham birth https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722500.9

This is what I have come up with so far...

There are 2 little girls sitting on the soldier's knee and they are my grandmother, Gweneth Fordham and her identical twin sister, Sylvia.

Suspect No. 1 Father Arthur George Fordham (1893-1959)
The twins were born in Waratah Newcastle NSW Australia between June and Dec 1915 to Arthur George Fordham and Lena Agnes Fordham nee Baker (1892-1970). ......

Not to worry though,  I am sure our OP is now sure of the identity of her Soldier, and it is now just a matter of figuring out which lass in the photo is Gwen.  :D  :D  :D  ...  ;)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.