Author Topic: Identifying an Australian soldier by his uniform  (Read 3074 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying an Australian soldier by his uniform
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 December 18 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Question ... are you sure the girls are twins ... the NSW BDM online index has a provision for drilling down on birthdates,  and they are listed as running numbered references BUT do you actually have the details from those two consecutive registrations ...

JM

NSW BDM may not have them with same dob ... or perhaps my  puter is having a lend of NSW BDM ...

; :)

JM

Sylvie L FORDHAM  46254/1915

Gweneth L FORDHAM  46255/1915

both with parents Arthur G and Lena A at Waratah.

;) :D

Has anyone drilled down to get actual dd/mm/1915 dob?  I am on e reader now but earlier when on my puter I had difficulty getting exact dob for theose two consequective numbers ... to confirm them as twins ...

JM  ps please excuse my e reader as it cannot spell.    ::)  ::)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 December 18 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Ok, Sylvie born 19 December 1915, but there seems to be something wrong, either with me or the BDM because Gweneth appears each day from 1 January to 31 December.  ???

Also, details of brother William's birth registration now online too:
William J FORDHAM   32176/1918 Waratah

Modified to show that Gweneth's birth registration seems to appear for every day in 1915

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 December 18 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Ummmm  so I will phone a rellie,  retired NSW BDM senior officer for his grey cells thoughts ...
1915 ..  what if 1914 ... please try for last quarter of 1914 ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 December 18 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM, no Gweneth birth in 1914 according to the BDM Index, but every day in 1915. Obviously a mistake somewhere, some sort of data entry error I would suspect.

Modified to add:
Having just the read the whole of the previous thread about Gweneth, at least Sylvie's birth date in December clears up one mystery, and shows the twins weren't covering up for anything.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 December 18 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Phone call received  ;D  EDP errors can cause issues ...  but I have asked same question about that surname before .. years ago ... IF it is important,  ask for official transcription of the highest number as it should be clearly noted as for -the younger of twins' as it should also show name of the 'elder of twins' under previous issue...  ;D  ;D

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 December 18 05:54 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few John James Baker war records online. Could you indicate which is your John’s record, please?

Jamjar

OP has amended the opening post to include info  :D

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 December 18 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Question ... posed on behalf of 2nd AIF rellie...

Photo with the girls ... concern if that was actually original AIF issue belt and also AIF trousers ....

I have no ideas re uniforms  ::) but I
 do have ancient rellies  :) and if they ask too msny curly questions they will get potatoes in their sacks 25 December ...

JM

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 December 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
The man in uniform with the twins is clearly an officer. Sam Browne belt is one clue and there seem to be two pips on his shoulders making him a Lieutenant.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 December 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
At the naa.gov.au website there is an index entry showing a separate AIF file not yet digitised for Lieutenant John James BAKER service number 1566 ,  up to 1923  :)   perhaps our OP may wish to organise for its digitisation,  there are fees for that as it is a separate file in a different series to his main B2455 series file.

JM