Author Topic: John Bolton, baptised 7 Dec 1623 in Woodbridge; also, Mary Bolton 1628.  (Read 643 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
John Bolton, baptised 7 Dec 1623 in Woodbridge; also, Mary Bolton 1628.
« on: Saturday 01 December 18 03:30 GMT (UK) »
This is part of my research into the same family as Wiseman in my previous thread, but I've marked that as complete so thought I'd better post a new one.

This baptism is in FS: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N5KW-4JZ, showing John Bolton as the father as well as the son's name. As the mother's name (Mare) is the same as that given for all records found for siblings in the family with parents Thomas Bolton and Mary Wiseman, most of whom were born in Woodbridge too, it seems possible that this may be an error in transcription, and an FS family tree has attached that John Bolton to the Thomas-Mary family. They show a John Bolton was buried in Woodbridge on 21 September 1640, although no source is given, and I can't find such a burial in FS or FreeReg. I am trying to verify whether he actually belongs there in this family.

However, Suffolk Manorial Families does not show a John in the family tree as sibling of Wiseman, etc. SMF does show a John as son of John, on p. 221 family tree as a "devisee of his sister Sheene, who names Allan, John, and Thomas, his sons..." (and also named in the will on pp.217-8, also showing Wiseman and some of the other siblings in the other family). It's a bit confusing because it refers to an MS1177, which (at the top of p.220) shows a Thomas as the father of a John, Edward and the Thomas who marries Mary Wiseman (also says there the wife of Thomas Sr is Elizabeth Curt(e)is - but Alice is borne out in other sources, including Thomas Sr's will in 1616).

My leaning is towards unhitching that John in the FS Thomas-Mary family at this point.

My other query is about Wiseman's sisters Mary and Elizabeth. The SMF family tree seems to possibly indicate that they are twins, baptised a year apart, 1628 and 1629? (Or is that just the representation on the chart?) I have baptisms from FS for Mary 28 Oct 1628 and Elsebeth on 7 Jan 1629, i.e. Jan 1630.

I have Mary Bolton marrying John Harvy on 27 Sep 1653 (record in FS), but the SMF tree seems to indicate another unnamed sibling marrying a ...Harvy. So either there were two Marys and one died early, or SMF simply didn't have all the records at the time it was published.

My leaning here is towards assuming just one Mary, who survived to marry John Harvy.

Any thoughts or other observations, please? (I can tell that I'm going to be spending a while longer on these Boltons!)