Author Topic: Denis Mannix (1842-1892), could he be related to Archbishop Daniel (born 1864)  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Mike Mahon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, I have been trying to work out if my great grandfather Denis Mannix (1842-1892) could be related to the famous Archbishop Daniel Mannix born 1864.
I wonder if anyone could give me any suggestions. I have been trying to find any records but can't find any.
My great grandfather married Ellen Murphy (1841-1925) and one of their children was Daniel Mannix who was my grandfather (1872-1956).
On the side of the archbishop's family I have his parents being Timothy Mannix (1830-1910) and Ellen Cagney (1832-1925).
That Timothy Mannix's parents were Daniel Mannix born about 1808 and Ann Corkery. That Daniel Mannix in turn had his father also a Daniel Mannix, married to a Catherine Moynihan.
Both Mannix families seemed to be from the same region - Charleville in the case of the Archbishop's family and Doneraile \ Mallow \ Buttevant in the case of my own great grandfather.
I'd be very grateful if anyone could suggest how I could link the two families conclusively.  Archbishop Mannix is a very interesting historical figure and probably the most famous person possibly in my family tree.
Mannix, Lyons, Ives,

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Denis Mannix (1842-1892), could he be related to Archbishop Daniel (born 1864)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 December 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Denis Mannix (1842-1892), could he be related to Archbishop Daniel (born 1864)
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0032  Charleville

Are we repeating stuff that might be on other thread??

Offline Mike Mahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  I had thought I'd do a separate thread, as it is a bit more of a historical question, about the Archbishops family tree. It is possible my Mannix family tree isn't connected to his family tree at all, so I might never be able to know one way or another.
My interest was reawakened this weekend as there was a fascinating documentary on archbishop Mannix on rte TV yesterday and he was a very interesting person.
My own thoughts are that the link may be a bit further back than records show. Possibly one more generation back. So his grandparents and my great great great grandparents might have had the same parents. But it is so far back I may never be sure.
Mannix, Lyons, Ives,

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 December 18 12:31 GMT (UK) »
have you tried writing to one of the local papers in Charleville cork, they might to an letter in the paper for you asking for information.

he had a brother Tim and Patrick.