Author Topic: Christian name in parish register  (Read 456 times)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Christian name in parish register
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Ann?
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON, MACRAE - Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Stanley H Tremelling 26 Oct 1892 - 26 May 1915
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Could It be 'Lady'  ???
Seeking: baptism Philip Murray 1813 nr Chatham Kent, death Ralph James Dunn b 1808 1861 - 1868 in Newington 1861
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Nova Scotia [Halifax, Pictou]: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
'Lady' would require a tail to the 'y' and what looks like a tail may be the top stroke of 'Hannah'.
But if there is a tail (a descender), I though it might be 'Eliz.'

However I really think the image is too poor to definitely work out the word/name.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that someone might agree with me that it is Ann. I think she is the same person who was baptised Anna-Rebecca Lea in Shenton in 1682, married Richard Heath simply as Ann Lea in Lichfield Cathedral in 1724, was Ann Heath when she wrote her will in 1765, and was then, it seems, buried as Ann Rebecca Heath. The main problem is that she must have been getting on in age when she married to what seems to have been a considerably younger man. I was always a bit worried about the loss of the “Rebecca” but maybe she was quite flexible with her name.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that someone might agree with me that it is Ann. I think she is the same person who was baptised Anna-Rebecca Lea in Shenton in 1682, married Richard Heath simply as Ann Lea in Lichfield Cathedral in 1724, was Ann Heath when she wrote her will in 1765, and was then, it seems, buried as Ann Rebecca Heath. The main problem is that she must have been getting on in age when she married to what seems to have been a considerably younger man. I was always a bit worried about the loss of the “Rebecca” but maybe she was quite flexible with her name.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 December 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Lucy Rebecca Heath ? I don't think it's Ann.

I think the date could be Jany 21.

A larger clip would help, as has been suggested.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 December 18 04:24 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping that someone might agree with me that it is Ann.

The name Ann appears at least once and probably twice in the following record:

...Ann the Daughter of Wm & Ann...

You can clearly see the A is formed in a totally different way to the first letter of the mystery word.

If you want the best chance of a reading - rather than fishing for something you want to see - then post a larger clip:  one which includes other adult burials, taken from the nearest area in the same hand where the text is most clear.

PS:  Like Bookbox, I think 21 is more likely than 31.

ADDED:

This could still be your Anna-Rebecca Shenton.  The first word doesn't have to be Ann, provided it's not another name.

There are plenty of examples of people with double-barrel forenames switching, apparently randomly, between names on different records.

What is the relationship between the date of probate and the date of this burial?

Is this church a likely burial place?  What did she specify in her will?

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if it could be "Ane". In the snip below I've removed the distracting top of the "h" and cloned the word twice, firstly imagining and enhancing it as "Ann" then as "Ane". I think "Ane" seems more likely.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 December 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. I have just been in touch with a relative who did some FH a few years ago. Amazingly, they have a photo of Ann’s headstone, which is excellently preserved. It clearly shows that she was Ann Heath, died 31st January 1768 (no mention of Rebecca). Her husband Richard Heath died aged 63 in 1764. She must therefore have been pretty flexible with how she was known. She must, from this and the evidence of two wills, be Anna-Rebecca Lea, baptised Shenton, Leics. in 1682 (unfortunately the details of the inscription with her age are below soil level) and Richard was her “toy boy”. ;D

I agree absolutely that the “A”’s found elsewhere on the page are quite different from this “A”. I wonder whether the writer started to write something else and changed it?