Author Topic: Teynham, birthplace of my father, Albert James Baker, 1904  (Read 2467 times)

Offline kennbk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Teynham, birthplace of my father, Albert James Baker, 1904
« on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
My post/subject focuses on Teynham and "World's End," the location where my father, Albert James Baker, was born in 1904.

I have a 1938 newspaper ad (William Willett Ltd.) describing a "XVIth Century Cottage Residence," in "Kent, World's End, Teynham" (photo attached). I would like to find out if my grandparents, Albert William and Frances Elizabeth (Pilcher) Baker, lived in that house, as boarders or tenants, from approximately Feb 1903 to April-June 1906. Their address, on a baptism register (William George Baker) in Feb 1903 was Lucerne Street, Teynham, but no house number.

In the NO-census year of 1904, is it possible to find house numbers and the names of the occupants of the houses on World’s End? Are there deed records, tax records, post office records, or any other type of documentation that may reveal occupants names.

On the Google map of Teynham, I see a short road off of Lewson (formerly Lucerne) named World's End leading to a "Y" and the left fork changes to a farm lane. On the ground view the Google camera van does not travel down World's End from Lewson, and I cannot zoom in enough on the aerial view to examine certain features. I was looking for that massive chimney which may have remained on the house (if it exists at all) over the decades of restoration, renovation and modification.

For those reading this request who live in Teynham:
Does "World's End" refer specifically to that road or street that I see on the maps or  does it encompass part of Lucerne Street too? Do you have ancestors who lived at either place? Do you know the history of The Plough Inn, Lucerne Street, World's End, and the residence in the photo, from available archives of the area or from your family history? My grandfather worked on a farm, probably close to that house in the photo. I saw on the Google aerial map farmland (crops) on either side of that farm lane extending from World's End. Did that same farmland exist back in 1900-1906 and were there dairy farms in the area?

Kenneth Baker
Maryland U.S.A.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Teynham, birthplace of my father, Albert James Baker, 1904
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
A street directory should tell where they were living.

There are a few on online on the Lynsted with Kingsdown Society website

http://www.lynsted-society.co.uk/Library/Data/Directories/1903_1904_Milton_Next_Sittingbourne_Union_Directory.html

The 1908 gazetteer shows Alfred Baker living in Upper Tickham
Ludgate Road from Lynsted Street.

I can't see him in 1903-4 directory.

Rural streets rarely had house numbers and often still don't.

There is a old photo of Lucerne Street plus a couple of photos of The Plough

http://www.lynsted-society.co.uk/Library/Images/Postcards/Nearby.html
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Worlds End is marked on this map - https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/596533/161389/12/100954

Zoom out three or four times to see it.

1891 Census:-
Worlds End Cottages, Luceene Street, Teynham
John H Burton 50
Alice Burton Wife 52
Charles A Burton Son 30
John Snoad Father Widower 87
Pamela A Garner   Granddaughter 5

Probably there is 1901 but no house name.

David

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken.
            Ref your questions . Worlds End is basically a Short Lane with a few houses.Off the road through Lewson street . When I get time I will have a drive out there and check .I am pretty sure the house in your Pic is no longer there. If it is it will be listed property so there wont be modifications allowed..
            My wife is from Teynham and she cant recall seeing the house when she was a girl (We are in our 70,s)
            Having had a check on your Dads name . I see his father emigrated to Canada the same year he was born . His wife and older brother William following later.
            At the time there were quite a few Baker families at Teynham. (There still are....700 on the local Electral Roll for Sittingbourne Area which covers Teynham)
 One was general dealer back in the early 1900,s. The pic is from one of my postcards circa 1905 .It is taken from outside the Railway Station,looking up Station Road, Teynham towards the A2 and Green Street ,Watling Street.
           Also there are still Pilcher,s living arround Norton and Faversham (450 on ER) most are probably related to Frances.As far as I can see she was one of 9 kids born of William and Ellen Pilcher in and  arround the Faversham area.
            Your Grandfather Albert could have worked on one or more of the many Farms in the Teynham area for 15 years or more before he Emigrated..
            The local Farms were Arable ,Wheat Oats ,Barley,Sugar Beet, as well as  vegetables.
Also animal Fodder like Mangel Worzels , Lucerne ,Hay etc.
            Fruit Orchards,of Cherries ,Plums ,Apples ,Pears ,and Quinces (Teynham is the place Cherries were first grown in England).
            Dairy and Beef Cattle , and Hop Gardens were plentiful around Teynham as well.Up until recently "Guinness" had Hop Gardens there until about
1990. You might find this Link interesting.
           http://oastandhopkilnhistory.com/20th-century/20th-century/
          Please don't be afraid to private message me and I will help you with local knowledge all I can. I research family history as a hobby since I completed the historic side of our family Tree.(Still updating as more babies arrive. ) I have helped and made friends with loads of Folks worldwide .Its quite usual for someone to turn up on the doorstep unexpected and introduce themselves with "Hello Roger ,you helped me with family history"  saying year between 1990 and Now.
           Good Luck with your Quest, How come you are now in Maryland ? long way from Canada.
                                                  Take Care ,Best Wishes , Roger, (grandarog)
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline izzijac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 May 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
I believe I may have been in contact with a relative of yours in the past. i actually live in this house and have done for about 13 years. i have looked into the history of the house but have found little to do with the time you mention. i had been told that at one point it was divided into 3 and it would certainly have been possible going by the layout when we moved here.

Offline kennbk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 06:15 BST (UK) »
   izzijac: I had inquired about my father's birthplace quite a while ago and had, up till now, thought that my effort to find any information had been unsuccessful. Thank you for contacting me. I am absolutely astonished about what you have said in your post and I want to find out more details from you about the relative you referred to and the house that you say is the same one. (I didn't see it when I viewed World's End on a Google map (at ground level), but of course I realize that it may have drastically changed in appearance since 1938 from remodeling, renovations and modifications.)
   My father's name was Albert James Baker, born June 30, 1904, in Teynham (possibly in that house). He had a brother, William George, born January 1903. Their parents/my grandparents were Albert William Baker, born 1873, Milstead, and Frances Elizabeth (Pilcher) Baker, born 1875, Sittingbourne/Faversham area. They were married in March 1902 in Bromley and I know they were in Teynham in June 1904 when my father was born. My grandfather worked on a farm (maybe not far from that house). I am assuming that my grandparents were tenants living in a house (maybe that one) owned by a landlord.
   I am hoping that you may respond to this post.  I am lucky to have received your post. You have given me encouraging information.  If you like, we can send private messages. Whatever you would like to do. I am not a regular, active member here.
   Sincerely, Kenneth Baker, Maryland, USA