Author Topic: Changing name by deed poll  (Read 3656 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Changing name by deed poll
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 December 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »

Your statements -

"..Former name -  Desmond Jervis Salter   New Name - Robert Desney (made up)"

"..... in 1958 - when he uses his new name in brackets. And it does say 'formerly Desmond Salter)"

On the two marriage certificates that you have....do the signatures of the groom look the same?

How is the groom described in each.....age, occupation, address, father's name and occupation?

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 December 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I do not have them to hand at the moment...but I will have a look when I get home.

I'm sure as I remember, he signs the two marriage certificates each with a different name...
Occupations are different. Ages match up. Fathers name - one says Jervis Salter who I believe could be his uncle or other relative of his mother's side as he appears to have taken his mothers name...Cant remember what the other one says - I will check later today.

What are you thinking?
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 December 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »

I am thinking that it would be a good idea to know what is on both certificates.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 December 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »

However the second marriage was 11 years later in 1958 - when he uses his new name in brackets. And it does say 'formerly Desmond Salter)...which maybe indicaters that it wasn't done by deed poll...but I have to try and uncover every stone in a bid to find any clues as to his father!

Alison

No it only indicates that he had at some time used another name, the official guidance states-
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n4g/

"4.17 Sometimes a person uses, and is known by, two names at the same time in this instance both names should be entered using “otherwise”. If either of the couple have been known by another name you should try to link both names using “formerly known as” providing that the party does not object. If the party does object, you should advise them that unless both names are entered, difficulties may arise in future years concerning the identity of the party.
If the party still objects, you should enter the name and surname by which he/she is known"

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 December 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
GRO has specific guidance on marriage registration for entering names which have been changed.

Where a person has used (or been known by) another name, other than in cases of adoption,  that name should be recorded in the name column as "formerly xxxx", but the person can choose not to have the previous name shown at all if they wish.

The previous name may also be omitted, and just the  phrase "name changed by deed poll"  shown, but only when the deed has been enrolled (registered with the courts).

the use of the "formerly xxx" option would suggest that either there was no deed poll, or if there was that it was never enrolled.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 December 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »

Your statements -

"..Former name -  Desmond Jervis Salter   New Name - Robert Desney (made up)"

"..... in 1958 - when he uses his new name in brackets. And it does say 'formerly Desmond Salter)"

On the two marriage certificates that you have....do the signatures of the groom look the same?

How is the groom described in each.....age, occupation, address, father's name and occupation?

I have both certificates here:

1942 in Sheffield: 1st Marriage Desmond signs himself. Age 23. Details of Navy including number. His address in SHeffield is given - this is the address I gave to Traceline to trace him ten years ago. Which they did - all the way back to 1942!
Jervis Salter (deceased) given as father's name. ( I have since found that there is Jarvis Salter in his mum's line)

1958 in Ploughley oxford: 2nd marriage
RObert Desney formerly known as Desmond Salter. Previous marriage dissolved. As was his new wifes to be. Occupation: Foreman Shippers and Packers. Lived at Antique shop in Dorchester on Thames. Father and fathers occupation unknown (as they were on his birth certificate.)

All signatures were written by the registrar here...for everyone. In a very distinctive neat hand - definitely same person.

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 December 18 06:14 GMT (UK) »
 ???

"Charles Jarvis Salter (aged 20) is living in Fulham in 1901 with his mother Fanny (aged 48).

In 1881, this family are (25 Hill Street):
Jarvis Salter, 29
Fanny, 31
Ethel Lillian Salter, 3
Edith Mary, 1
Charles Jarvis Clerson Salter, 1M
Emma Salter, 59 (mother of Jarvis)"

You say you think Ethel was born in 1895? What is that based on?

She can't be the Ethel Salter above born in 1878. This Ethel Salter would have been 40 in 1918 when Desmond was born?

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 December 18 08:30 GMT (UK) »
The appearance of Jarvis/Jervis in connection with Desmond (this name has passed down through hearsay as well as on his marriage certificate) is quite a strong connection to the Salter line I think. They are both very unusal names...The fact that there is a Salter family with an Ethel AND a Jarvis is surely indicitive I have the right family...I know I still need to prove it...but
AND Charles Jarvis Clerson Salter married in Fulham too in 1908.

I think you are maybe seeing an old reference in an old (linked) post about Ethel being born in 1895. A different Ethel...I think I found a tentative link to this Ethel many years ago...can you show me where you have got that from please as I will need to follow it up?

The problem is that I cannot find Ethel anywhere in 1911 or 1901? I wonder if she went under Lilian...

Thanks so much for all your help!

Alison

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 December 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The appearance of Jarvis/Jervis in connection with Desmond (this name has passed down through hearsay as well as on his marriage certificate) is quite a strong connection to the Salter line I think. They are both very unusal names...The fact that there is a Salter family with an Ethel AND a Jarvis is surely indicitive I have the right family...I know I still need to prove it...but
AND Charles Jarvis Clerson Salter married in Fulham too in 1908.

I think you are maybe seeing an old reference in an old (linked) post about Ethel being born in 1895. A different Ethel...I think I found a tentative link to this Ethel many years ago...can you show me where you have got that from please as I will need to follow it up?

The problem is that I cannot find Ethel anywhere in 1911 or 1901? I wonder if she went under Lilian...

Thanks so much for all your help!

Alison

Google your old posts, that is what I did.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)