Author Topic: Changing name by deed poll  (Read 3655 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Changing name by deed poll
« on: Sunday 02 December 18 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out more about my grandad. He was supposably born illegitemate - no name on birth certificate. He did provide a name later on on his marriage cert but probably not accurate. I do know that he changed his name later in life and have much info on him thereafter including naval records. I thought this record may provide name of his father...possibly?

I dont actually know that he officially changed his name by deed poll but it's worth a try.

I know he changed his name sometime between 1945-1958...probably 1947-1958.

Could anyone point me in the right direction in finding out whether he changed his name by deed poll or not? Do you need to know the county?

Many thanks

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Changing name by deed poll
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 03:35 GMT (UK) »

Do you have the birth certificate, and marriage certificate?

The use of another family name...was it subsequent to his marriage...so birth certificates of children needed to be changed?  After his marriage, when is the earliest use that you see of the different family name?

Are the two family names significantly different or just variations of the one name?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 18 04:13 GMT (UK) »
There are images of blank British Deed Poll Application forms online and there is no reference to the parents of an adult. The only reference to parents names being required is an application to change the name of a minor under the age of 18 years.

Unless you require a legal name change for a passport, driving licence, etc., you don't need to go down that route.

Here's a website that answers many questions, and yours is Question 10:

"Q10:  I am trying to find a record of a relative's name change.  Can you tell me if they have changed their name by Deed Poll?

A:  Searching for someone's Deed Poll is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.  This is because there is no central register of all name changes by Deed Poll.  Furthermore, in addition to ourselves, a Deed Poll can be prepared by any of the many thousands of solicitors in the UK and there are other websites providing the service.  Even if you discovered who prepared your relative's Deed Poll, client confidentiality prevents the disclosing of any information about the Deed Poll.

The only chance you have of locating a Deed Poll is ...... "

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/OtherFAQs.html
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 18 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Under the Laws of England & Wales (Scotland too, I think?) a person has the right to call themselves anything they like, just as long as it's not for purposes of fraud or deceit.

A Deed Poll is not necessary.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 18 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Let's clear up the myth of what a deed poll is; in law a poll is a document with straight edges, rather than roughly torn or indented edges. A deed is a written intention, put the two together and you have a deed poll a persons written intention.

It is important to realise that in the UK a deed poll does not change the person's name, it merely shows the persons intention to change their name.

The change of name is only effected by using the new name.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 18 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi WIvenhoe,

Yes I have both the birth and 1st and 2nd marriage certificate and death certificate.
He deserted the first marriage and the only child - my dad - never to be seen again. I believe this to be the reason for the name change as he owed the mother money for the upbringing of the child and he had been in court over it.
After years of searching I did find that he had changed his name and took his forename to make up a new second name. As I remember, on his 2nd marriage certificate, it says his new name and then 'formerly old name' in brackets underneath.  I have narrowed down the time frame to between 1947-1958 for changing his name. I wanted to see if there was any formal documents to see if they provided a clue to his father...
Former name -  Desmond Jervis Salter
New Name - Robert Desney (made up)

Thanks for all the other information regarding deed poll name changes. I thought it was a bit more of a formal record and would have been easier to find...

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 18 08:48 GMT (UK) »
If a name is changed by Deed Poll it should show up in the London Gazette.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 18 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks - I've searched and nothing comes up...