Author Topic: Where in Kilnhill?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where in Kilnhill?
« on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am once again in need of assistance. I have got birth records for two individuals from the same family in Tweedmouth. They are a mere 2 years apart. I can read the dates and the bottom two lines (Kilnhill, Tweedmouth) but I can't for the life of me decipher the middle line on either of them.

One says 6 something and the other 2 something but I am not sure what. Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards
Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Kilnhill?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
In both cases it's the time of birth. The first is 6 hours 0 minutes P.M. The second is 2 hours 0 minutes P.M. So 6.00pm and 2.00pm.

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!

Now it is mentioned it is as clear as day.

That raises the question were they twins? I know that it is usual to record birth time for twins but it is also common for single births?

Best regards
Kevin
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:32 GMT (UK) »
If you mean were each of them twins, then look again to see if there are relevant entries close by each one.  Could be even an hour or two apart (poor mother!) in those days.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I think all scots birth certs have the time of birth. Not twins....2 yrs apart!

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 18 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Obviously not twins with each other, especially as the one born in 1848 died just before the one in 1850 was born...and they share the exact same name too.  ;)

Tweedmouth really isn't in Scotland but I suppose it is close enough for government work? :)

I will investigate to see if there are other births within the family around those dates and times.

Thanks for the pointers.

Best regards
Kevin

McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Tweedmouth really isn't in Scotland but I suppose it is close enough for government work? :)

In this case the dates are earlier than the start of civil registration in Scotland, so they can't be Scottish certificates, or even influenced by Scottish practice.

I've occasionally seen birth certificates from the early years of civil registration in England where a time is given but there's no evidence of a multiple birth - maybe some registrars thought it was a good idea, even though officially unnecessary? But your plan to check for twins etc is the right way to go.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:08 GMT (UK) »
One of my wife's ancestors not only recorded the time of each child's birth, to the second!, in the family bibles - his family's and his wife's family's - but also on the birth certificates.  He also did the same for every death recorded, some of his children but also parents and siblings.  He also in the bibles recorded notes about the births, not too long labour or similar but against his children's deaths the cause and how they bore their illness - makes very lump in the throat reading as his raw emotions and the tragedy of the situation are totally on display. From memory he had a large family, ten or twelve children, and over half died within two years of birth and another in her early teens.  So sad.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »

If they were born in Tweedmouth then the births would be registered in England, Berwick Registration District https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/berwick.html

There have been some examples on Rootschat of the times of births being recorded on English Birth Certificates
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk