Author Topic: Parish record online: where did this age come from?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish record online: where did this age come from?
« on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
I’m 99 per cent sure that I’ve found a burial I was looking for in a parish register. It is available online, though obviously I can’t say here where I saw it. 3rd May 1812, Tamworth, Staffs., William Lea. He is a very good match to the “late William Lea of Tamworth” of his uncle Richard Lea’s 1820 (Shenton, Leics.) will.
The image of the original is unfortunately missing the right hand edge of the page (folded under, it seems), so I can see no age given, though there is a transcript which says he was 35. If this is correct, he’d be the William son of Christopher (Richard’s brother), who was baptised in Packwood, Warks. in 1777. I’m surprised how much these people moved about.

I’d be happier if I could see the age myself or knew where the website transcription came from. The age clearly couldn’t have been transcribed from this image.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish record online: where did this age come from?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
of course you can say where you saw it!
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
When I've come across something like that Dave, I have emailed the appropriate Record Office where the actual register is held, and asked if they would be so good as to have a look and see if there is anything written there. They have always been very obliging.
I guess Tamworth registers are at Staffordshire Record Office in Stafford.
Can't hurt to contact them.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
The Burial is on FreeREG 1812 age 35.
That is how the transcriber saw the age but I cant help with the actual image.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Just keep scrolling on through the images ( see the arrow at the right of the page) and you will see a clear image showing the age.

You often find such repeats  with parish records before  standardised forms were introduced.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Just keep scrolling on through the images ( see the arrow at the right of the page) and you will see a clear image showing the age.

You often find such repeats  with parish records before  standardised forms were introduced.

William

Unfortunately on the website I’m using it doesn’t seem to appear when doing that, in fact the next right hand page suffers the same issue.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
of course you can say where you saw it!

I got a mildly slapped wrist the other day for mentioning a commercial site by name, and the moderator deleted my post, so I thought I’d be banned if I transgressed again. ;D

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
When I've come across something like that Dave, I have emailed the appropriate Record Office where the actual register is held, and asked if they would be so good as to have a look and see if there is anything written there. They have always been very obliging.
I guess Tamworth registers are at Staffordshire Record Office in Stafford.
Can't hurt to contact them.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll do that.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
The Burial is on FreeREG 1812 age 35.
That is how the transcriber saw the age but I cant help with the actual image.

Thank you. I’d be surprised if this wasn’t right and everything fits, but there just remains that last 0.1 per cent of doubt.