Author Topic: The Peacock family  (Read 2398 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: The Peacock family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 December 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Re looking for outward bound from New South Wales ...

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-shipping-guide (Scroll down, keep scrolling .... PASSENGERS DEPARTING  :) )

Outward passenger lists from New South Wales are DIFFICULT (almost impossible) to access.
The lists from 1898 to 1922 are NOT indexed, and the period from 1911 (to 1922) are not even microfilmed.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 December 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I can’t find them on the 1891. I only have FamilySearch to view.

What was George’s occupation?

Jamjar

I have no idea what he was doing in 1891, his wife seems to be on her own with the children

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WYYD-3N2

23 Worrall Road Clifton, Gloucestershire :D  1 building,  two households.

2 rooms 
Mrs Peacock, head, married, 30, living on own means, Wells Somerset
Susie Peacock, daughter, 8, Sydney NS Wales
Frank Peacock, son, 14 months, Sydney NS Wales

3 rooms
Ellen Clarke, Widow, 57, living on own means, Chippenham, Wilts
Annie Davis, Single, Boarder, 22, Dressmaker, Wells, Somerset

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 December 18 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Important Sale

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/139046325   24 September 1888  Newcastle Herald.

.............. with instructions from Mr. George Peacock, who is about entering another business, to sell by public auction, on the premises (near Duke of Edinburgh Hotel, Junction),To-morrow (Tuesday), at 11 o'clock, The whole of his Superior HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE and EFFECTS, which are for Positive Sale, as the owner is entering on a new business, and leaving the premises. No reserve.-- terms cash.

JM

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 December 18 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, I certainly have some information to sieve though which I am sure will give me what I was searching for.

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 April 19 05:20 BST (UK) »
wrong thread, sorry

JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 April 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of small snippets which may help in pin-pointing their departure from NSW.

The baby, Frank, was born 28 or 29 January 1890 and registered in Petersham (suburb of Sydney)

By 5 April 1890 there is a sequestration order for George Peacock, carpenter, previously inn-keeper,  of Newcastle (ref found by wivenhoe)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230612438
Newcastle is some 160k north of Sydney.

Wondering if Ellen and the children returned to UK alone; whether they were all in Newcastle or only George. It's unusual, but a child does not have to be registered where s/he was born, so Frank's registration may only have been recorded in Petersham and he was born elsewhere in NSW. The reg number is quite large so could the registration of Frank's birth have occurred later in the year?  JM will know if that's possible!!

Not much help really  :(

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 April 19 09:21 BST (UK) »
 ;D

The BDM districts in 1890 covered far more than the suburb  :)  and the local deputy registrars maintained their local registers and sent quarterly returns to the Registrar General's Office, in Sydney CBD.  That General Office included far more than just the Register for BDMs -  The Lands Titles Office was perhaps its most significant "Registry" function.   And, like most clerical admin functions in that era,  things were done in strict alphabetical order.  So BDM quarterly returns were sent through to the Sydney HQ. And there, these were sorted in Sydney Metro districts in Alphabetical order ... so for example,  Ashfield would be a far way ahead of Burwood, and Burwood would be ahead of Canterbury which would be way ahead of Hornsby and it would be ahead of Petersham ....  etc...   

So each year would be reset to 'O' for the returns for those lodged directly at the Reg General's office (so mainly those born within Sydney District - a 'dense' but small district based around Sydney CBD)  .... then the Sydney Metro Districts within the County of Cumberland - in alphabetical order -(so Penrith was probably the one immediately ahead of Petersham),  and then the Rural districts ... eg Albury,  Dubbo,  Newcastle,  Wagga,  Yass.

HOWEVER,  sometimes ... err ... the clerks at the district levels 'forgot' to submit their returns ... so a batch would be forwarded with the 'next lot' ....  and until WWI there was no real admin protocol to follow up missing returns  (and errr ... even post WWII births may have missed being submitted  ;D promptly - I am aware of at least one rural district registry as part of the function of the Clerk of Petty Sessions - the entire register - decades - not discovered until EDP computerisation 1970s recalled all registers ....)

So 'high' numbers can indicate admin oversights  :) (across the state) but the online index is meant to include a feature to allow you to drill down to the actual date of birth rather than the date of registration.   ;D

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps

JM