Author Topic: Steamy Edmonton  (Read 2406 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Steamy Edmonton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 December 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I see 1881 census as Paramour.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 December 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
1881 census RG11/398/87

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 December 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Yup ok     

1881 says "Paramour"

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 December 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 says Boarder, but the 1881 census says Paramour.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 07:15 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census for Alfred Coomes states he was a gun maker, and living with parents in Waltham Abbey.
The 1861 census for Lizzie indicates she was from Barkway.

Under  Sessions and Police Intelligence on  page 3 of the 06 Jan 1866 editon of the Cambridge Independent Press there is this:

Royston
January 3 - Alfred Coomes, gunmaker, was brought upon on warrant, charged with neglecting to maintain his wife, whereby she had become chargeable to the parish of Barkway.  Prisoner was apprehended in London, where he was in receipt of good pay.  Case adjourned for a fortnight, to give the prisoner an opportunity of settling the matter with the parish authorities where his wife had become chargeable.

Jump ahead to to 1867, and the March 23 and 26th edition of the  Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser ran this notice:

NOTICE.— I, ALFRED COOMES, of Waltham Abbey, Essex, will not be answerable for any DEBTS Wife. LIZIE COOMES, may contract after this date, March 19th, 1867
(signed A. Coombs)
Witness H.S. Chater

Divorce was extremely difficult and expensive then, and without one, Lizzie wouldn't be able to marry again until Alfred died. If Alfred changed his name and/or relocated on the sly, Lizzie wouldn't know when he died. It looks like she gave up waiting to ever know, and married James Faint by referring to herself as Lizzie Coomes, spinster, daughter of Thomas Coomes (witnessed by Edmund and Mary Castle) in 1886.

The daughter, Florence Emma, married under the surname Faint, and listed James as her father.  I have not checked the other children, but it would suggest that they lived as a normal family with the surname Faint, but on the censuses, were extremely honest!

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
They certainly were very candid to the census man, thanks for the info.

The Coomes were living in London but after the death of their first son James in 1851 they moved to Edmonton and had two more sons. They both worked in the small arms factory there, Enfield.
Their dads occupation on the 1861 census has him as a 'Colt breaker', I thought it was to do with horses for the army! Emma Coomes married my GGGrandfather William Haszell, but seems  to have gone through bad times after having two children with him and a stillborn in 1865. No sign of her after 1861 census, her two boys are living with his parents in 1871. He remarried a younger woman in 1899.

Bloody Victorians..!

Thanks again for your help.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 December 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Good finds, bbart. Fleshes the story out as to Alfred's side of the story!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Mark Harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.

I note also that a Lizett Kate Hazell was born in 1865 and died in 1865 to William Haszell and Emma Coomes. Alfreds marriage collapsed in 1865, his wife was Lizzet Kate, quite a co incidence. They appear to have been friends perhaps. William and Emmas marriage collapsed at this time too, their children were with Williams parents in 1871 and he was in London. Emma disappears.

Perhaps its nothing but 1865 seemed a big year for this little crew. Victorian swingers???

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
The GRO data gives Florence,James and Jane all registered as Coomes.mmn Castle,with Thomas still as Coomes but no mmn.

Roger