Author Topic: Emigrant - ship to S Africa ancestry lookup - all details but no subscription!  (Read 2192 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I just made a chance discovery! Logged on to Ancestry for the first time in ten years and stumbled upon what I think is my elusive grandad on a ship to South Africa!

I have all the details but no subscription. I was wondering if anyone with a subscription would be kind enough to view the image for me please?

I searched for Desmond Salter born 1918 London. Towards the bottom of the results page is an entry for Mr D Salter on a ship to south africa in 1934.

Many thanks if anyone can look this up!

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrant - ship to S Africa ancestry lookup - all details but no subscription!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Was your Desmond illegit as I notice his birth shows mmn Salter.

The 1934 entry appears to me to be 14 rather than 16 - not a clear 4 or 6 really but he was travelling with what appears to be parents.  Father  initials only = JW aged 55 and no name or initial for mother aged 42
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrant - ship to S Africa ancestry lookup - all details but no subscription!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Mr D Salter about 1918 and aged 16 years
Port of Departure Southampton. 2 November 1934 Destination Port Cape Town, South Africa
Ship Name Kenilworth Castle. Travelled with Mr J W Salter aged 55 years. Secretary. Mrs Salter 42 years.  Last UK Address - Kings Court Hotel. WC2

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
When I need to look at a record on Ancestry, I pop down to my local library.
They have computer access (free for 2 hours) and Ancestry Library Edition!

I can then download the image and copy it to a USB memory stick; or I can get Ancestry to email it to me. All free.

The Terms and Conditions of Ancestry mean that people can only use it for their own, private, research.
In asking for a user to get the image for you, you are asking them to break the Ts & Cs! :o

Just checked! Aberdeen Libraries have access to Ancestry Library Edition ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
When I need to look at a record on Ancestry, I pop down to my local library.
They have computer access (free for 2 hours) and Ancestry Library Edition!

I can then download the image and copy it to a USB memory stick; or I can get Ancestry to email it to me. All free.

The Terms and Conditions of Ancestry mean that people can only use it for their own, private, research.
In asking for a user to get the image for you, you are asking them to break the Ts & Cs! :o

Just checked! Aberdeen Libraries have access to Ancestry Library Edition ;D

Ok Firstly, I have been away from this site for ten years and I had no idea that was the case now - I used to practically live on this site day and night and the site was all about other people doing lookups...
Secondly I am no longer in Aberdeen. I am about 90 miles away from the nearest library in the far north of Scotland) which has Ancestry...or indeed has any computers. But thanks for the tip for the future. I'm not sure if Ancestry is available at Inverness library.

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Was your Desmond illegit as I notice his birth shows mmn Salter.

The 1934 entry appears to me to be 14 rather than 16 - not a clear 4 or 6 really but he was travelling with what appears to be parents.  Father  initials only = JW aged 55 and no name or initial for mother aged 44

Hi there,
Yes he was illegit...I am in fact trying to find his dad through any means...JW Salter is interesting...Are there any more details at all?

Does it actually say DESMOND Salter or is it just D?

Many thanks!

Alison

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Mr D Salter about 1918 and aged 16 years
Port of Departure Southampton. 2 November 1934 Destination Port Cape Town, South Africa
Ship Name Kenilworth Castle. Travelled with Mr J W Salter aged 55 years. Secretary. Mrs Salter 42 years.  Last UK Address - Kings Court Hotel. WC2

Sandra

As it is transcribed here - Mr D Salter  ;)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
No names - just initials and ages
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 December 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thanks so much.

I logged on to Ancestry and did this random search and it actually let me get a step further and see some of the transcribed details but not all - the step before you could view the image (even though I am no longer subscribed these days?). It only let me see it once - I think it was a fault on the website?? Does this happen often? Also when I tried to find it again, all the results had changed and were noted in French and came up with lots of USA results?? This is really weird....

Are we not meant to ask for the odd lookup on Ancestry then these days on this site? I thought that was the whole point?? Many years ago, I used to help many people in this way on this site.

Alison