Author Topic: Alex or Alec HEIGHTON died 1 May 1944  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alex or Alec HEIGHTON died 1 May 1944
« on: Sunday 02 December 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out more about the life of Alex or Alec HEIGHTON who was a Chindit in the 2nd Bn Leicestershire Regiment and who died in Burma on 1st May 1944.  He is buried in Taukkyan Cemetery, having been initially buried at Sahmaw Cemetery,  he enlisted in the Leicestershire regiment on 24.6.1940 and was a Private (No 4863341) aged 24, when he died.

He was born in Leicester and living there in 1940 when he enlisted.  On FreeBMD the only A heighton born in Leicestershire rom 1919 to 1921 was Alec Heighton b. Q1 1920 (Market Bosworth 7a 150).  It looks like his mother was Emma Heighton (1893-1929) and his father was unknown.  He was born at Peckleton.

Given he was orphaned it probably accounts for the fact that he has no details or inscription on his headstone, and his CWGC record says ' no address'.

Does anyone know any more about him?
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alex or Alec HEIGHTON died 1 May 1944
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
From FreeBMD:

Births, March qtr 1920
Market Bosworth Registration District     vol 7a, page 150

Heighton, Alec     Mother's maiden name: Heighton
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you got an address at enlistment, or next of kin details for him?  You might be able to match them up to 1939 Register details for his maternal grandmother Emma Jane Heighton (who I see lived until 1942) or one of his maternal aunts or uncles, in case he was brought up by them?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
An “A. Heighton” is listed in local newspapers as playing football for Peckleton Utd on various dates between January and October 1939.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
deleted - wrong thread!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Alec's mother, grandmother and other family members seem to have been living in the same house from at least 1901 until 1939. In one record it is The Gate House. This is marked thus on one old map and as The Lodge (to Peckleton Hall) on others.

The 1921 Electoral Register has Jane (Emma Jane), Emma, Thomas and Alice. Thomas Alfred is listed separately.
The 1930 Electoral Register has Jane (Emma Jane), Thomas Alfred, Emma, Thomas, Alice and Ida. Joseph was at a different address.

There is a newspaper article about Alec as an outside-right for Hinkley United - Sports Argus 17 July 1937.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinckley_United_F.C.

I can't find any other record, except for the birth and military.

David

P.S. - Just a thought - there is a person blanked out on the 1939 Register. It might be Alec if his death and burial overseas had been missed.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Leicester Daily Mercury 13 January 1939

PECKLETON UTD. v SAKETA
A. Heighton was one of the team.

Also in the team:-
21 July 1939 PECKLETON V BARWELL
13 October 1939 PECKLETON UNTITED v STAPLETON
27 October 1939 PECKLETON V BARWELL

David

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
First, a big 'Thank You' to David (DCB), avm228 and K Garrad for your contributions which have confirmed that he was living in Peckleton until joining up.  The idea that he may be the 'Closed Record' on the 1939 Survey is intriguing....I will have to work out how to see if it can be opened.  This is a real possibility because the CWGC have him as Alex (rather than Alec) and no address or next of kin details so it is unlikely the two have been linked. 

Peckleton doesn't seem to have a War memorial so he is not commemorated there - luckily he is buried at Taukkyan rather than just commemorated with no known grave as so many are that fought in Burma. 

Can you tell me how you accessed the two Leicester papers please.  I may look to see if there is anything on him in it around the time of his death or on joining up.  I couldn't see any parish records or school records on either FindMyPast or Ancestry....is there anywhere else I could try?

Again many thanks for your help!

Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
You can open a closed entry on 1939 Register by sending FindMyPast a scan of his death certificate;  that's what I had to do to see the entry for my uncle (shot down and buried in France 1944).

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk