Author Topic: Summers Family in Newfoundland  (Read 847 times)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Summers Family in Newfoundland
« on: Sunday 02 December 18 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace a part of my family tree. I have a William Summers marrying Martha Brouster in Quebec City in December 1803. They had a son called William who would have been born between October 1804 and November 1805, assuming that Martha was not pregnant at marriage. William and Martha are known to have relocated to Poole. Dorset in UK by 1815. I suspect that the Canadian Atlantic coast, Nfld particularly, features strongly in this story. Does anybody have knowledge of a Summers family with links to Poole?

Del

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Summers Family in Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
It's not my family but there seems to be various probates for the family

William Summers Admin 1824 to wife Mary names minor children William,Robert Ash Summers,Martha Summers ,Mary Brouster Summers .She is named their Guardian not mother and William the son is 20 and at sea .
£200 Admin granted 22 June 1825
William Summers the deceased had died in or about 24 Nov 1824 which suggests he died at sea.

It would seem to be your family .Martha was buried 17th April 1822 age 39years
Children at Poole -Martha 19.3.1815,Robert Feb 1819 and Mary Brouster Summers 23.7.1820

There are other PCC Wills for Summers in Poole
Samuel 1815  of His Majesty's Customs  to son William ,mentions s in law Richard Stroud,grandchildren Samuel Stroud snd Elizabeth Martin children  of my daughter Mary Stroud

William Summers 1834 of  His Majesty's Customs and wife Ann. Neice Elizabeth Martin and her children Mary,Richard and William.
burial  1757-3rd March 1834

William Henry Summers  1840 Master Mariner- children Janet Mary and Howard John Summers.

Ciderdrinker

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Summers Family in Newfoundland
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 December 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help Ciderdrinker. The document/s of admin and bond were as a result of the loss of William Summers the father. This was during a "great storm" that raged along the south coast of England 22nd to 25th November 1824. He likely died without a will. His wife predeceased him in 1822 and the Mary mentioned would be his mother, the children's Grandmother. I have an image of those two court documents which establishes the existence of William the son. Finding out about William the son might neatly provide pieces to to the puzzle.
I feel that Newfoundland is involved, not only that Poole was a port that traded with Canada but that William senior and his son were seamen. I also believe that a gravestone planted near Carbonear in Nf was commissioned by William the son or a Robert Ash (Master Mariner) a relation through marriage. Sadly all records for that church were lost in a rectory fire.
The text on the gravestone states it is in memoriam of William Summers, Master of the brig Syren, lost at sea. Born about the right year and died 24th November 1824. Local knowledge has it that this William died elsewhere.

Del