Author Topic: James McMartin and Sophia Horton - help needed  (Read 1137 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James McMartin and Sophia Horton - help needed
« on: Monday 03 December 18 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on my 3xg-grandparents James McMartin and Sophia Horton. He was born about 1799 (I think in Ireland), was living in King (York County, Ontario, Canada) in 1852, and I think died before 1861. Sophia was born around 1810 in Ontario (according to the census).  The children that I know of are Elijah (married Matilda Wood), Denis, Isaac, Loretta, William, Sarah, Daniel and James (jr). It appears that several of his children moved to the USA (mainly to Michigan). I have not been able to find a death record for either James or his wife Sophia either in Canada or the US. This is all the information I have on him. Any information that can be provided (such as parents, marriage date, death date, immigration...) would be great.

I have also posted this in the Canada forum.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James McMartin and Sophia Horton - help needed
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 18 01:23 GMT (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 December 18 01:40 GMT (UK) »
James is on the 1851 census with his wife and 3 children at King, York County, Canada West (Ontario) and it says born in Ireland. In the 1861 census Sarah is a widow in Carrick, Bruce, Canada West, so James died sometime between the two censuses.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 December 18 02:24 GMT (UK) »
From Familysearch.org there is a death certificate  1926 for Dennis McMartin son of James and Sophia stating James was born Scotland. I realise info on death certs may not always be accurate but nok was Dennis's dau so perhaps she knew.
Same source: marriage of dau Sarah ( parents James and Sophia ) in 1872 does not give father as deceased.Marriage of son Dennis 1873 also gives parents James and Sophia but father nor deceased.
Perhaps this was not usually noted on Canadian marr certs.
Family search records for Ontario deaths start 1869 so from 1861/2 census he is not (living) with wife and chn and Sophia is listed as M not W for widow.. again could be the way it was done then.
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 December 18 04:32 GMT (UK) »
James is on the 1851 census with his wife and 3 children at King, York County, Canada West (Ontario) and it says born in Ireland. In the 1861 census Sarah is a widow in Carrick, Bruce, Canada West, so James died sometime between the two censuses.

Here is the 1861 census in Carrick, Bruce.  Several family members here - everyone born in Upper Canada (Ontario)
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1861/jpg/4107386_00373.jpg

Sophia - 52
Loreta - 25
Dennis - 22
Isaac - 20
William - 16
James - 14
Sarah - 12
Elija - 9

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 18 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Loretta's marriage in 1863

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS7D-R7JN?i=34&cc=2568642

Parents James and Sophia.  No mention that James is deceased - this is consistent with the other McMartin marriage records mentioned above.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 18 05:36 GMT (UK) »
1871 census...could be Sophia with her children William and Sarah.  This time in Howick, North Huron. 

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/jpg/4397107_00429.jpg

William, Sarah and Sophia all say they were born in Ontario.  William and Sarah say that their "origin" is Scotch.  That would be their father's background.  Sophia says that her "origin" is German.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 18 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Sarah's marriage to William Graham in 1872, Gorrie, Huron. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y39L-277?i=180&cc=1784216

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 18 05:46 GMT (UK) »
1881 census, Sophia is in Peterborough, Ontario with son Dennis and his family.  Again, she says her origin is German.  Dennis and his children say Scotch.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008178811.jpg

RK