Author Topic: Can’t read a will: should I even bother?  (Read 985 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can’t read a will: should I even bother?
« on: Monday 03 December 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit of a dilemma. I have traced a line back to about 1650 with 99% confidence and 1625 with 90% confidence. The 1625 record is a baptism of James Ley (which is also, and normally, Lea, in the records here), son of John. John was clearly living in the place then. This happens to be on the first and earliest surviving page of the register of Shenton, Leics. Shenton was just a hamlet and chapelry within the larger parish of Market Bosworth.

In Market Bosworth there is a record of quite a lot of Leas going back to at least 1569 (the earliest date of the register here). Some of these Leas were certainly farmers, connected with another hamlet which actually adjoined Shenton. This hamlet had no chapel and the inhabitants seem to have used Mkt. Bosworth church. I have a lot of evidence from the 1700’s onwards that the Leas were spread widely around Bosworth parish and beyond, all farmers.

Because the Bosworth register is poorly preserved in places there may be a connection between Leas in both places which is now lost from the record. I’d be very surprised if there isn’t a link.

My dilemma is that I have found a will of 1508 of a Robert Lee in Market Bosworth (it might possibly read Lea and even if not, that is maybe not too significant). I can’t read more than about one in six words. He certainly had a son William, and there are William Leas here in the later 1500’s. Does anyone think it would be worth trying to get it translated. It clearly isn’t just a question of posting the odd line in the handwriting section of the forum. I’m really just seeking an opinion on whether my line of reasoning looks flawed.

Sorry this is so long, but if Robert was connected I’d be really chuffed :)

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t read a will: should I even bother?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 18 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I would do it. When you get back that far, ALL information becomes important. If only to eliminate people from your enquiries. 

Regards 

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 December 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I'd agree with Kiltpin.
When you get back that far, you have to spread a very wide net to try and find any information.
I've found the most amazing nuggets in wills I didn't think were even possibly connected (and dozens of wills that were dead ends! , but then that's the name of the game.)

Why not post,say, the beginning paragraph - if there's no paragraphs, a sizeable chunk, and we could probably get you started on it.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 December 18 09:51 GMT (UK) »
I'd agree with Kiltpin.
When you get back that far, you have to spread a very wide net to try and find any information.
I've found the most amazing nuggets in wills I didn't think were even possibly connected (and dozens of wills that were dead ends! , but then that's the name of the game.)

Why not post,say, the beginning paragraph - if there's no paragraphs, a sizeable chunk, and we could probably get you started on it.

Thanks. I’m not sure what the copyright position is. I saw the will on microfilm a few years ago at the record office and got a (very grotty) photocopy. I have now subscribed to a pay site and was amazed to find it there. I now have a superbly clear (but still incomprehensible) jpeg, but I’m not sure about copyright. And I really don't want to impose on the goodwill and generosity of Rootschatters.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 December 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
The will is in the public domain, any copyright holders would have died out 200 years ago. Any transliteration you made of it would be for private use. 

Regards 

Chas

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 December 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
The will is in the public domain, any copyright holders would have died out 200 years ago. Any transliteration you made of it would be for private use. 

Regards 

Chas

I meant the actual image: if for example I posted a small excerpt here or sent the jpeg to a professional transcription service, is that acceptable in terms of copyright? The photo itself is presumably the property of the commercial website which hosts it?

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 December 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »

Regards 

Chas

I meant the actual image: if for example I posted a small excerpt here or sent the jpeg to a professional transcription service, is that acceptable in terms of copyright? The photo itself is presumably the property of the commercial website which hosts it?

Provided you do not attempt to pass it off as your own, or try to make a monetary gain and you provide details of who does own the copyright - you are in the clear. 

The formula - "Copyright of the above image is held by Xxx Xxxx" is often used. 

Regards 

Chas

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 December 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification. I’ll post a little bit in the handwriting section since it would be more appropriate there.

Dave :)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham