Author Topic: William Channer  (Read 2743 times)

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Channer
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 November 19 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Indeed, we may very well have been  :)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
This discussion interests me more from the DODD side.  I've just discovered a couple of 6th cousin DNA matches to descendants of Frances DODD and William CHANNER.  My line is through Mary Elizabeth DODD who married Charles STEVENS (a paper manufacturer) in 1766 at Chenies.  Mary definitely has a connection to George DODD of Chenies, and the research I have (from my mother's work many years ago) suggests that Mary was the daughter of George DODD.  I'm struggling to figure out how Mary connects with Frances DODD, whose parents are John and Sarah.  I suspect the common ancestor of Mary and Frances is at least another generation back from comparing the genetic matches (AncestryDNA) of the two descendants of Frances (estimated 6th cousin), to my match with the other descendant of Mary Elizabeth (4th cousin), though all three matches are less than 10 cM (my 4th cousin at 7 cM, and the two "6th" cousins at 7 and 10 cM).

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Corinne
Don't know whether we've spoken before?
I live about 5 miles from Chenies, and I am also descended from John Dodd, by his first wife Mary Hack. They were my 6x great grandparents. I have never found a marriage for John and Sarah, but I have transcribed his will. I also have an ancestry DNA test online at Ancestry and elsewhere.
In the will John leaves his real estate thus:
"...unto my son George Dodd his heirs and assigns for ever chargeable nevertheless and I do hereby charge all my so real estate with and for the payment of the sum of Twenty pounds apiece of lawful money of Great Britain to my Daughters Elizabeth Lewis [,] Mary the wife of Charles Stevens and Frances the wife of James Channer to be paid to each of them by my said son George Dodd..."
I have gone into the DODD and Channer families in great depth, as Chenies is one of my favourite places. My parents were married at Chenies, where my brothers and I were also christened, as was my eldest son.
Dodd's Mill is still there, but is a private house now, though still called Dodd's Mill.
It is on Google maps here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6782361,-0.5336761,3a,56y,132.97h,85.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp96SYVrJvRyZ0UQcLa6jaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB&authuser=0
I am also in touch with several Channer descendants.
If you give me your Ancestry username I will invite you to my tree, and also we can compare DNA, which should be interesting

Regards
Phil How
(Croxley Green, Herts)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 August 20 08:37 BST (UK) »
Phil, I have PM'd you.  Yes I would like to compare DNA, and also sort out the errors in my DODDs tree links.   I realise now the George who I thought was the father of my Mary DODD (married Charles STEVENS) was more likely to be her brother.   

I just checked on a map, and hadn't realised how close Sarratt was to Chenies.  Alfred CURTIS and wife Henrietta STEVENS were both buried at Sarratt (CHurch of the Holy Cross, in 1888 and 1887 respectively).  Henrietta was born in Sarratt, dau of John Dodd STEVENS and Anne DOVEY, and granddaughter of Charles STEVENS and Mary DODD.  Alfred CURTIS was also a paper maker (Sarratt Mill).  The Curtis family were originally from Sutton Courtenay, but by 1765 Thomas Curtis, a stationer, was in London.  Alfred was his grandson.   More details on the Sarratt Mill here http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/places/places-s/sarratt/sarratt-paper-mill.htm

Offline Natkarena

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am descendent of the channers from Jamaica, my grandfather is norris channer. My family has managed to trace back to a William channer born February 8th 1881, newcom valley St Elizabeth Jamaica. We are not sure if we are descended from George and Sarah Delano as apparently there were 2 channer brother's from England and several mistresses.  I was wondering if you had any ideas about this. I'm in England and born and raised in Aylesbury funny enough