Author Topic: DNA match  (Read 616 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Martin, I had my DNA tested about 18 months ago.

In that time one person has contacted me from ancestry, nobody has contacted me from anywhere else.

I send messages to most people I positively connect to, though not all, plus some where I think the connection should be easy enough to find because of common birthplaces.
Plus messages to all close matches, regardless of whether I can see the connection.
I have probably sent hundreds of messages, I would think.

Without sending messages I would have less than a handful of positives, where ancestry has provided shared ancestor hint.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I think we are related, you just haven't looked far enough back.

Martin
I think I'm mainly Western European Hunters and Gatherers.

I don't send messages on Ancestry/My Heritage matches to people I already know are close relatives. I contact by e-mail or phone  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I have not tried to contact anybody. I thought I would just sit back and emails would come rushing in, but this hasn't happened. 

Martin
I feel like the little red hen, gathering the wheat, grinding it and baking the bread while my matches sit around waiting to gobble up the warm loaf.

Making contact with matches involves a lot more than sending an email. It means doing as much preliminary work as possible with what information they have provided, and then with what information they are subsequently prepared to share. From the posts on this board it seems that very few people are willing (or able given their circumstances) to make that investment of time and effort. DNA is absolutely not a short cut but it is a fascinating way to use ‘traditional ‘ research to find another route into the past.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »

Making contact with matches involves a lot more than sending an email. It means doing as much preliminary work as possible with what information they have provided, and then with what information they are subsequently prepared to share. From the posts on this board it seems that very few people are willing (or able given their circumstances) to make that investment of time and effort. DNA is absolutely not a short cut but it is a fascinating way to use ‘traditional ‘ research to find another route into the past.

I think you will see that many of us do ' make that investment of time and effort'.

and see that

'DNA is absolutely not a short cut but it is a fascinating way to use ‘traditional ‘ research to find another route into the past.'

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
It is quite clear that you and a relatively small number of other people do make the effort but most people who take DNA tests don't.

However my intention was not to cause offence.

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Martin, I seem to remember sending you some info by which you should have been able to contact matches. Did you ever make use of it, I wonder?

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 December 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
hi again, most of whats been said on heres just gone right over my head, took me a while to realize that, gadget, sugarfizzle and gardenshed were people lol, thought martin was just mad :D

I ve got back to 1700 s on all family sides and about a quarter can get back to 1500 s, but theres not one familiar name on any of my poss DNA matches, alot of my matches are from USA that i get, as far as i know only 2 branches had family move there, but no familiar names ?

i have 6,812 people in my tree, you d think one of my matches would have a surname i d know, and most of the surnames in my tree are nt common ones, also a lot of my matches dont even have trees and ones that do have way less than 100 people in them

and are you saying that just because someone has the same surname they are put on your list ??, all the ones on mine say how many strands etc, surely thats nothing to do with a name ?

all my matches are for 3-5 th cousins, only one said second cousin, he s actually my first cousin once removed, i did speak to him a couple of times, but i think i may have been too familiar as he has nt got back to me lol, i think a lot of people like the ida of finding family, but when they re faced with it they have second thoughts and start thinking, maybe i should leave well alone, maybe they want something from me, maybe something will come out of the closet and i ll find out something i d rather not or maybe they ll want to meet up etc, thoughts please :) , cathie

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 December 18 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Squawkie11, I must have overlooked it.  I am sorry, I will look back.

Cathieee, "Madness in great ones must not unwatched go." Claudius in Hamlet.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 December 18 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Try looking at matches from particular locations the more precise the better maybe there are no surnames matches because children were all female and so descendants have their husbands names ...have you considered there may have been an unknown adoption or love child somewhere along line ...

I have finally matched up with some 3rd cousins ...our great great grandfather had 4 sons ..only 2 married only 2 had children who were both girls including my nana all the others were girls .

But he came from a particular region so could eventually identify.If American cousins competed trees back to 1850

Have found common names on matches for my great grandmother but it's Roberts and Jones so hard to find who is who .

Where are you based ? I think this Xmas there will be a spurt of people buying tests
Americans are a bit ahead of us Britain I think   good luck

People tend to answer me of I give some extra information they don't have and ask them specifiction questions ..a lot of people are wary of unknown relatives being invasive I suppose Cathee.l I talk to much so try not to post til ive re read and considered wording 3 x
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid MCDERMID McDiarmid Gardner Jones ,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson ,McKay