Author Topic: Roman Catholic/Latin baptism query  (Read 1849 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic/Latin baptism query
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it’s not N. Lane at all, but a blank space left before Lane, for a forename that wasn’t available at the time.
I was going to suggest that too. It could be an arrowhead for a later entry but certainly looks in a different hand.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
The repeated names at the top, are actually a separate baptism, with the same sponsors. This is a register of baptisms only; Our Blessed Lady & St Alphonsus, Blackmore Park was the private RC chapel of the Horneyold family. The register starts from around 1791, when public RC services became legal, of course.

Benjamin kept the surname Gallet/t, and I have details of his marriage and family. I have found no marriage for Teresa Gallet, or for any male Lane in the area that could be a match, which leads me to think she may have remained unmarried. I went through the register from cover to cover, but no other mention of her name, whereas other Gallet/ts were frequently sponsors at other baptisms.

The handwriting does look a bit uneven, perhaps as if parts were filled-in later, and I agree that I'm not at all convinced that Mr Lane's initial was 'N'
One-name study of the Gallett family

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 December 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
There was a Mary Gallet who married a Thomas Harris at Hanley Castle on 30 January 1804. Is this Maria Harris?

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 December 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
She is, and a possible sister of Teresa Gallet

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
So... it seems likely that Benjamin was already baptised, perhaps (as Anglican?) in accordance with the father Mr Lane's wishes, and given this supplementary baptism because the Gallet/ts were (and remained in my family) Roman Catholic.

There were Lane's in Hanley Castle, but none appear in the RC register of baptisms.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Were the Gallets based in Hanley Castle?

Just out of curiosity, what was the name of the baptised  child who had the same Godparents?

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 December 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
They were in Hanley Castle from the 1700s until around 1900. The earliest record I have is of James Gallet, bur. 1823 at Hanley Castle aged 88, so b.abt.1735. Although he was buried at at Hanley Castle in 1823, he may not have been born there of course, and may be descended from Gallets in Tarrington, Herefordshire, through James. bap. 1698. I have a strong line from James b. abt. 1750, who may be son of James b.abt.1735. The line of six James's ended with my great-grandfather.

They're a small family, and records show them mostly in Herefordshire and them Worcestershire from the early 1500s, in general moving away from farming areas to industrial towns in the 1800s, with some emigrating to the USA – a familiar pattern.

The other baptism, partially shown on the snippet I posted is
24 Oct 1806 nata
26 Oct 1806 Bap
Elizabeth
filia Jacobi & Elizabeth (Morris) Gallet
Patrini Joan. Gallet
Matrina Matria Harris

Nick

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 December 18 23:47 GMT (UK) »
So... it seems likely that Benjamin was already baptised, perhaps (as Anglican?) in accordance with the father Mr Lane's wishes, and given this supplementary baptism because the Gallet/ts were (and remained in my family) Roman Catholic.

It may have been as you suggest, or it may have been that a priest or someone baptised Benjamin at home soon after birth and this was simply him being brought to church for the rest of the ceremony. At that time it was the custom for a priest to baptise new-born babies at home rather than wait until they were brought to church.
Does the born and baptised in August relate to Benjamin? Is there a date for the supplementary rites? Benjamin may have been born and baptised somewhere else - his mother may have been living away from home when he was born.

I agree with the others that the letter N in front of Lane might be instead of the father's forename. The priest either didn't know the man's first name or had forgotten it. Perhaps Benjamin's mother wasn't on first name terms with him.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Do you have access to other pages in the record?
Are brackets used for all the other mothers’ names in the baptisms?
If so, perhaps you are correct that Benjamin is illegitimate - this is sometimes recorded.
With regard to the omission of the name, the records may have been completed at a later date and the priest omitted it or couldn’t remember.