Author Topic: Unable to find mother's name - 14th Regiment foot, birth in Canada  (Read 2925 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to find mother's name - 14th Regiment foot, birth in Canada
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 December 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are a few more records for him on findmypast, British army service records.
Nothing exciting, but turn out to be important.
name as it appears in the results
William Miller, 14th Foot, in WO 22
which has him newly admitted to pension in 1852, along with others

Wm Miller, 14th Foot, in WO 23, piece no. 47 part 1
Now that one mentions Manchester as district in 1862

Wm Miller, 14th Foot, in WO 23, piece no. 57
That one has his date of death

The WO 117 record that is on the pay site fold3 can actually be seen for free on the National Archives website
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C176959

You can use their image viewer, images 28 and 29 (of 237). Is actually on 9 Nov 1852 as per the other records (not 2 Nov as ancestry say!)
He's right at the bottom of the page(s).
You can download the whole thing for free (but usually is very large file)

It's a pity we can't be totally sure about the army births, as I said he may be the only Miller in the 14th in the 1841 + 51 musters (but check the worldwide army index if you can, he is Millar in 1841). Whatever, you would hope there would be one or two more children in Canada?
John

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 December 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
  I'm searching findmypast and I can only get his join up page and when he finishes (wo 97).  I can't seem to specifically search on Wo 22 and 23 to find those other records.  I got the pension documents which were massive and found the pages you referenced.  I already bought all his, and James's, service record from the records office a few years ago but they don't have the pension stuff and death just his service record.
  Are you able to hyper link the search results which list wo22 and 23?  I've a subscription already so I should be able to view the docs.
thanks
Paul
McGrath (Mitchelstown, Cork and Manchester)
Armstrong (Ballinamallard, Fermanagh)
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)
Donnelly (Collegeland, Armagh/Tyrone)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 December 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hyper link I could do tomorrow(!) as I don't have that website at home.
But in the meantime if you just put in William (keep variants ticked) Miller or W*m Miller
and type 14th Foot in the "regiment" search box it seems to bring up just the three results you are looking for.
But not the WO 97 one ???

Remember that there is nothing very much to look at, but it did help us in the end.
John

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 December 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
John,
  thank you you've been really helpful and full of knowledge.  You've really changed my search now.

I've searched on rootsireland but haven't found a marriage for William and Elizabeth or Ellen.  Or a birth for daughter Elizabeth Miller or death for mother Elizabeth.  It is likely their records aren't complete for Monaghan.  The same in other counties have unrelated spouses or parents.

I got those other records in Findmypast so you don't need to URL them now.  Thanks again.
Enjoy your weekend.
Regards
Paul
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)
Miller (upto 1880s Clones, Monaghan, from 1880s Sancton and Market Weighton, Yorkshire)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:10 GMT (UK) »
An update to this. 

I ordered the birth certs from the GRO based on searches in Findmypast.  James had twin brothers born in Kingston Ontario in 1844 but unfortunately the mother is still listed as wife "William and Elizabeth Miller".

Presuming the returned to Ireland with their parents I now have to track them down in Ireland or England but they aren't with William and his new wife in England in the 1871 census.

I am unable to find records of William and Ellen in the English 1861 census so they may have been in Ireland.  The younger sons (twins) John and Robert may have moved with them between 1861 and 1871 to the Lancashire or Salford area. 
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)

Offline csjjpm

• RootsChat Member
  • Hi, addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 January 19 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I've searched the 1901 Irish census and there are no John or Robert Miller about 55ish born in Canada.  I can only presume one or both are either dead or in the UK.
Breen (Omagh, Tyrone)
Gofton (Northumberland)