Author Topic: MOUNTAIN in Boston  (Read 1455 times)

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOUNTAIN in Boston
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 December 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I think we have it sorted out (for now).

The John Mountain who married Ruth Nettlam in 1784 appears to be an outlier as do Charles Mountain born circa 1776 & Susanna/Susan who married John Maddieson. I'll keep this info on file for future reference. My late father-in-law believed all or most all of the Mountains of Lincolnshire came from one family in Norman times.

The information about the Angel Inn had been lost; the pre-internet data I had received noted that John (both Jr & Sr as it turns out) was a 'sea captain' and 'ship owner' but never publican. Nor was anyone aware of the suicide.

Partly based upon the appearance of the name "Joseph" in the next generations, I'm fairly confident that John Sr.'s parents are Joseph Mountain & Elizabeth Simson married 28 May 1753. John's baptism is 25 Oct 1759.

The first wife of John Mountain Sr. is still unknown, although Anne Shephard was discovered to be John Jr.'s first wife.

Based upon naming patterns Joseph's father might be "William".

These folks were a lot more affluent than I would have expected - offering a reward of 5 guineas two centuries ago - that was serious money at the time.

Brian