Author Topic: Question about Grant of Arms - would it go to eldest son?  (Read 2897 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Grant of Arms - would it go to eldest son?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Only if Robert died! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Oh, well then I just don't know.  :-\

Perhaps Thomas was 2nd son, but went and bought land outside the manor after the eldest brother William became tenant there, got married, had kids, etc. and just didn't want to live there? Then after William and then later the mother died,, mummy's boy Robert applied for tenancy (and only got married later).

It'll have to wait until tomorrow now, when fresh eyes may help something else emerge!

Thanks for your help.  :)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Another thing which seems like an indication of Thomas' seniority in age is the fact that he was executor of elder brother William's will in 1601. I think that I am going to put him above Robert in my tree (with copious notes on both).

If anything concrete to confirm or contradict this assumption turns up, I'll post FYI - else I think this query is pretty much done, thank you.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you have details of Thomas' death?

They are mentioned in Thomas Seckford's work, published 1792 -  "The statutes and ordinances for the government of the alms-houses in Woodbridge ....". A searchable version available on google books.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you have details of Thomas' death?

They are mentioned in Thomas Seckford's work, published 1792 -  "The statutes and ordinances for the government of the alms-houses in Woodbridge ....". A searchable version available on google books.

Do you mean Thomas senior, or the son? Either way, I have some details of death but haven't looked at that work yet, so thanks for that. I'm on my tablet now and although I can see the bibliographic details, it's not showing a preview or allowing me to search. I'll have to have another look on the computer tomorrow if I can find time.