Author Topic: McLeans of Glasgow  (Read 3234 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McLeans of Glasgow
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 December 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
The birth entry you mentioned for Patrick Jnr is the one that I referred to earlier where father showed as a labourer rather than tailor (as per James' marriage entry).

Apart from Patrick's entry, I could see also two possible sisters:

Cathrine Mcclean b. 5 May 1864
Birthplace    0757,TARTARAGHAN,ARMAGH,IRELAND
Father's Name    Patrick Mcclean
Mother's Name    Ann Jane Mccann

and

Mary Mcclean b. 20 Feb 1866
Birthplace    0755,TARTARAGHAN,ARMAGH,IRELAND
Father's Name    Patrick Mcclean
Mother's Name    Ann Jane Mccann

You can see the original images from the registers, including Patrick Jnr, on the link from earlier https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

These entries are easy enough to find on the site. Note the spelling of Mary and Catherine's entries with the double 'c'. Patrick Jnr's is the more standard McLean.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OutlandMcLean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 December 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so, so much. Looked into Catherine, she emigrated to Australia. Found her marriage certificate - lived at 222 Castle Street, just like the others, all info the same.

Offline OutlandMcLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 December 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Any help deciphering what this says? On Catherine’s marriage certificate. In brackets under the bride’s name, and again in the witness box. Invited? Think I see witness as the end?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 December 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Under Catherine's name, can't easily make out first name but surname I think is McGuiness.

As Wendy has mentioned, why not contact SP and ask for a rescan of image. They are very quick at responding to these types of requests.

See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/technical-help/reporting-issues

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 December 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Who is Catherine?....daughter of?.......married who / when / where......with residence as 222 Church Street.

"..On two of her children's marriage certificates," 

You have marriage certificates for two children of James McLean / Mary Ann Cameron Scott, m. 1882 Glasgow?

What children do you have for this couple?

If Catherine married in Scotland, and went to Australia, later events in her life might provide clues to her family.

Can you list all the information on the marriage certificate for Catherine.....everything please, and listed.

Offline OutlandMcLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 06 December 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Catherine is a daughter of Anne Jane McCan and Patrick McLean/McClean. She is a sister of James McLean, my great-great grandfather, whose marriage certificate I have. Both of them list '222 Church Street' in Glasgow as their address on their marriage certificates. She married John Joseph Sweeney in 1881. They emigrated to Australia.

Yes, I have the marriage certificates of George McLean (my great grandfather) and his brother James Joseph McLean, both married in 1920. There are several censuses with couples that might be them (though this is not certain) which include reference to children: Annie, Ellen, Jeanie, John, Mary A, Thomas, Hughie, and James and George. However I don't believe this is the correct family, as it seems to link the bride to an Annie McCulloch.

Catherine's marriage certificate:

2nd December
St Mungo's Chapel, Glasgow

Groom: John Sweeney
Address: 222 Castle Street, Glasgow
Parents: James Sweeney (deceased) and Jane Sweeney, previously Blakely, M.S. Alexander

Bride: Catherine McLean
Address: 222 Castle Street, Glasgow
Parents: Patrick McLean (Coalhill Labourer) and Ann-Jane McLean, M.S. McCann (deceased)

Witnesses: James Lanechan and Margaret Hart
And the information I posted above, which I think must read 'invited, N. McGuiness'

I have also just discovered a record of James McLean's birth (my gg-grandfather), in the records of Loughall and Tartaraghan Parish, County Amargh, 25th September 1859. I have attached the image.

Offline OutlandMcLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 06 December 18 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Under Catherine's name, can't easily make out first name but surname I think is McGuiness.

As Wendy has mentioned, why not contact SP and ask for a rescan of image. They are very quick at responding to these types of requests.

See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/technical-help/reporting-issues

Monica

In fairness, I think the problem with this one is the handwriting as opposed to the quality. The image itself is very good quality (wouldn't let me post the full resolution because of the limit on here)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »

Catherine McLEAN, is not literate. The notation under her name is possibly a witness to her signing. I do not know if that also indicates personal knowledge between the two people.

Which state of Australia did Catherine go to, and when........did she have children in Australia?

Offline OutlandMcLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Possibly yes, though in my experience the priest usually signs for it.

She went to Queensland and has 9 children (Jean, John Joseph Duncan, Nellie, Catherine, Theresa, Alice, Miriam, Marion, and James Hobday [died as an infant]). All were born after her crossing to in 1885.