Author Topic: Mary McGaffin and Family 1841-1861  (Read 1068 times)

Offline FLS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McGaffin and Family 1841-1861
« on: Tuesday 04 December 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking records of a family around 1841 – 1861
Mary Mcgaffin b1831 Manchester married Joseph Cartledge (a cooper) in 1849 Manchester and in 1851 census they are living at Stone Street, Ancoats Manchester with daughter Ellen (Mary Ellen) and Joseph’s family.
Mary’s parents are Henry McGaffin (Weaver) and Mary Ann Doran (b1795 Ireland-d1874 Manchester) who married 1828. She has 2 sisters that I know of: Ellen b1836 and Rosanna b1838 (all in Manchester). Ellen went on to marry John Richardson and Rosanna married George Holland. The young family lived at various numbers on Scholes Street, Manchester in 1849, 1855, 1859 and 1861.

That is about all I know of them until 1871. Much of their early lives are a mystery. I am looking for any of the following:
1)   1841 census for Mary aged 10, her sisters Ellen and Rosanna, Mother Mary Ann and Father Henry (if still alive)
2)   1851 census for sisters Ellen and Rosanna and Mother Mary Ann and Father Henry (if still alive)
3)   Death records of Mary Mcgaffin (Cartledge) and her Husband Joseph Cartledge. I have nothing for either of them after the 1851 census
4)   Birth record and 1861 census for Mary Ellen Cartledge (daughter of Mary McGaffin and Joseph Cartledge). Born about 1850 in Manchester. She is known as Mary, Ellen and Mary Ellen in her later years when she is married to William Clinton.

Any help appreciated.
Thank You
Faye

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McGaffin and Family 1841-1861
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 07:18 GMT (UK) »
any occupation for Joseph Cartledge in the 1851 census ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for Henry?
Henry McGavin. March Q 1839. Manchester. Age 45

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Faye,

Just to clarify and expand your information

1851 2228/130/11

The young Cartledge family are living in Store Street (not Stone St) with Joseph’s stepmother Elizabeth Gee and family. (Not sure though how he is a stepson).

In that census Scholes Street follows on from Store Street. I have looked through and cannot see the rest of the family living in Scholes Street.

I will carry on looking for a while.

Heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Joseph Cartledge is a cooper/ joiner in the 1851 census.

The death for Henry is quite probable as I cannot find him on a city directory either so I am assuming he dies early on.

I have found that Elizabeth Gee married Joseph's dad who then died and she re-married a Michael Gee - hence the step mum.

Thank you all for taking the time to look
Faye

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I thought that might be the explanation re the stepmother but hadn’t the time to check.

I know it is a minor detail but you might want to amend your details re Store Street.

The death for Henry does look very likely.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Assuming that it is Henry's death, Mary would have been left a widow with a young family(Ellen  3, Rosanna 1 at least, possibly with others). Is it not reasonable that she might have returned to Ireland for family assistance, hence absent from England in 1841?

Alternatively she may have remarried, but I can see nothing on Free BMD to support that theory.

Offline FLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Ireland is looking a likely solution.

I have Mary Ann in 1861 and 1871 in Manchester so am certain she did not remarry.
In 1861, Mary Ann has 3xMcgaffin boarding with her that are probably of some relation.
A John Eyres Mcgaffin, wife Elizabeth and 10 year old son Thomas. I have not been able to trace these other 3 anywhere else.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
From Family Search.
Marriage. Margaret McGaffin, born 1835, daughter of Henry, and Samuel Wallace,  27 July 1855, St John's, Liverpool