Author Topic: Burscough beer houses  (Read 236 times)

Offline Peety

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burscough beer houses
« on: Wednesday 05 December 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
My 3 x great uncle Thomas Peet is recorded in the 1901 census living at 69, New Lane ( Anvil Beer House), Burscough, Lancashire his profession, blacksmith ( hence Anvil Beer House I would think?). In his Will of 1902 he is described as beer seller and shop keeper.
Ernest Rosbottom book: Burscough The Story of an Agricultural Village he refers to "New Lane as having no fewer than 4 beer houses" but " time and space does not permit further description ". I believe Rosbottams original notes are at Ormskirk library?
Can anyone please give any further detail ( photo?) of Anvil Beer House or anyone have access to Rosbottoms original notes?
Many thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burscough beer houses
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where 69 was?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/126520001#zoom=2&lat=7872&lon=10902&layers=BT

Added:
69 is the schedule number, not the house number.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Peety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 18 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Chempat many thanks for your reply and the link to a great map of Burscough.  I feel somewhat embarrassed and have never noticed what I assumed as a house number is a schedule number and have to confess I don't know the difference  :( . Could you explain please?

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 18 08:13 GMT (UK) »
This link is from a quick google search, for explanation (It is a blog, so not official):

https://www.british-genealogy.com/blog/resources/census-schedule-numbers-and-how-the-census-was-carried-out/