Author Topic: Agriculture in 1894  (Read 921 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Agriculture in 1894
« on: Wednesday 05 December 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
My g.g.father died when my g.father, Albert Gould, was only nine months old.  Then, in 1894, when Albert was 16 his mother died in North Littleton. 

There's a story in the family about Albert being "tricked" by an uncle/some uncles into signing away some land and Albert himself being "sold" to a farmer in North Warwickshire.  I've found absolutely no evidence of them owning any land, and, given that one of the uncles had brought up Albert's [much older] illegitimate half-brother, I think the "sold" thing was them taking the trouble to find him employment and somewhere to live. 

However, it begs the question, about why Albert couldn't find work in the local agricultural/market gardening industries.  Ancestry LifeStory, which I rarely look at, for this period says  "Progress made by the United States and Germany in manufacturing and agriculture in 1891, affected many in the United Kingdom, including Albert Gould during the Great Depression of 1873 to 1896." and that got me wondering if anyone knew of a slump in agricultural work in that part of Worcestershire around that time, or could suggest any possible sources of relevant information?

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agriculture in 1894
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Unless I am misreading this article the depression seems to have stimulated the growth of horticulture/market gardening in the Vale of Evesham http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n4x/

Kay

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Unless I am misreading this article the depression seems to have stimulated the growth of horticulture/market gardening in the Vale of Evesham http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n4x/

Kay

Oh, thank you - even if it does blow a bit of a hole in my theory that economic depression = loss of agricultural jobs in the area   ::)

STG

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I think the depression caused a more general loss of jobs in agriculture across the country at that time, largely due to the fall in the price of grain, meat and dairy produce which could be bought in from overseas more cheaply. I believe many farmers went out of business and a lot of farm labourers were forced to find work  elsewhere.

Mike
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Ancestry have the "Return of Owners of Land" for 1873. Although many years ago it was a free transcription and may still be findable on the Internet.  Worcestershire and Warwickshire are on it.  I could only see one GOULD.  An Elizabeth in Rowington.

Cheers

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Ancestry have the "Return of Owners of Land" for 1873. Although many years ago it was a free transcription and may still be findable on the Internet.  Worcestershire and Warwickshire are on it.  I could only see one GOULD.  An Elizabeth in Rowington.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks.  I've never found any of my Goulds having two halfpennies to rub together. :(

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 December 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I think the depression caused a more general loss of jobs in agriculture across the country at that time, largely due to the fall in the price of grain, meat and dairy produce which could be bought in from overseas more cheaply. I believe many farmers went out of business and a lot of farm labourers were forced to find work  elsewhere.

Mike

The North Warwickshire area has coal mines, so perhaps farmers there had difficulty attracting/retaining workers who preferred the higher wages from the mines and that's why they'd have been interested in recruiting from farther afield (see what I did there?  :D

Eventually, Albert became a coal miner himself. 

Thanks everyone
STG