Author Topic: Help with cousin relationship please  (Read 362 times)

Online clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: Help with cousin relationship please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I've lost track of the number of people referred to as "cousin" in the census where I've failed to find a family connection with anyone else in the house.

However, a couple of "cousins" have turned out to be second cousins. So it's worth checking connections a further generation back, i.e. look at all siblings of Richard Lea's grandparents (if you know them) and see if the name Stratton appears in any of their lines.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with cousin relationship please
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I think it highly likely that there was quite a lot of marrying people connected in some way by family ties at this time and in these farming communities, and I have a vision of them trotting off in pony and trap to a nearby village for Sunday lunch and a bit of matchmaking with some sort of kinsmen. Now for another assault on the parich records and some lateral thinking...

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.