Author Topic: Frederick Pyne - b 1894 North Staffs Regiment  (Read 913 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Pyne - b 1894 North Staffs Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 December 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The 1st Battalion were stationed in Buttevant Co Cork  Ireland (part of the UK then) when war broke out.  They had moved there from Shorncliffe in Kent in January 1912.  Chances are, after training at the depot in Lichfield when he joined in September, he then joined the battalion in Ireland so his pre-war years would have been training and exercising in run of the mill peace-time activities.  The beginning of the first part of the war diary details the preparations made for deployment to France and the arrival there on 12 September 1914.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Max - if joining in 1912, would that have meant he would have travelled to Lichfield to sign up - or might he have signed up in London where he lived. Given the level of poverty is was surrounded by in Camberwell (been getting some grim descriptions from Booths Poverty map of his addresses at the turn of the century) I'm not surprised that the army might have been a more attractive escape  even if it meant travelling up country....

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 December 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Most likely to have joined up in London and been encouraged (by fair means or foul) to join the N Staffs who may have been short of men at the time.  His service number 9786 is consistent with joining the N Staffs in 1912 (9702 joined 14 March 1912) so not an enlistment to another regiment then transfer.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia