Author Topic: HIGGS from Penn in Wolverhampton  (Read 800 times)

Offline WOLVERHAMPTON HIGGS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HIGGS from Penn in Wolverhampton
« on: Thursday 06 December 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandad researched and drew a family tree for our HIGGS family, who originated from Penn in Wolverhampton. He got as far back as JOHN HIGGS, with the date 27th November 1776 in Penn, with a little i next to it. I'm not sure whether the i means died or anything else? He married Jane Shelton on 10th August 1757. Most of the HIGGS PENN family were locksmiths.

I am a total novice at family history research, but I would like to see if I can go back further. He never used the internet and visited records offices personally.

He said that he met other HIGGS researchers who had got stuck at the same John Higgs, as there was scant information about him. Apparently there were theories about who his parents could have been but the evidence is not conclusive enough.

I would love to know whether anyone has managed to solve this and find out more? Also, if you think you might be linked to this same family tree, I have a lot of information mapped out that you might find useful.

Thank you

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: HIGGS from Penn in Wolverhampton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandad researched and drew a family tree for our HIGGS family, who originated from Penn in Wolverhampton. He got as far back as JOHN HIGGS, with the date 27th November 1776 in Penn, with a little i next to it. I'm not sure whether the i means died or anything else? He married Mary Shelton on 10th August 1757. Most of the HIGGS PENN family were locksmiths.

Hello

Welcome to Rootschat.

i probably means interred (buried).

Mark

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the burial is on FreeReg:

County    Staffordshire
Place    Penn
Church name    St Bartholomew
Burial date    27 Nov 1776
Burial person forename    John
Burial person surname    HIGGS

The marriage is also there, but the bride is transcribed as JANE Shelton.

10 Aug 1757
Groom forename    John
Groom surname    HIGGS
Groom parish    Penn
Groom condition    bachelor
Groom abode    Of Penn
Bride forename    Jane
Bride surname    SHELTON
Bride parish    Penn
Bride condition    spinster
Bride abode    Of Penn
Witness1 forename    Mary
Witness1 surname    NEWELL
Witness2 forename    Mary
Witness2 surname    ROWBOTHAM

There are a couple of baptisms in Staffs. around the right possible time, but not in Penn, and there's no way of telling if either of them is your man.
(Looks like Jane Higgs died in 1796 in Penn).

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 December 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help and confirming the dates for me!

I stumbled across a blog yesterday when I did a search on John Higgs' name, put together by a lady who is researching the same family tree. Next to John Higgs she has written:

"Possibly descended from or related to Thomas Higgs (171-1732) of Pendeford Mill who was a miller of Penn parish c 1707-1712, recorded as a "papist" in 1715. He descends from the Higgs family of Sutton Mill, Hopstone, Claverley, Shrops, where Roger Higges (e.1597) was "received of a yard of land."

I presume that this is slight guess-work that can not be evidenced for sure. I now recall that my Grandad put together another family tree back to the Thomas Higgs mentioned above, which was full of Mill owners. I must find that tree, as I have seen it before within the family. 

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandad researched and drew a family tree for our HIGGS family ...

I am a total novice at family history research, but I would like to see if I can go back further. He never used the internet and visited records offices personally.

Hello

It is very very difficult to pick up, right at the family tree end (when the Tree researcher is stuck themselves), but you can try reworking the tree backward.

1. A family tree back to the 18th Century researched in Archives, ought to come with photocopies, or photographs, or scans of:-
Copy Registrar or GRO Certificates;
Wills;
Street Directory information;
Census Sheets;
Voters / Poll Books or Election Books (if they owned their property 19th Century and earlier, as it entitled the owner to Vote);
possibly they may show up in Land Tax or
Tithe Apportionment (usually with a Map);
possibly Apprentice documents or
possibly amongst surviving Manor or Landowner documents (if they rented fields or buildings from the Lord or Landowner) or
Other documents?

Also a fair amount of Working Notes?

Unfortunately, I knew I was at a dead end 20 years ago, but have one lever arch file containing my print copies of Certificates, Census Sheets, Parish records, with separate notes and other documents printed, in other files.

About every year I'll keep reviewing all the copy documents, to see if anything new, might fit now, (it is like a Review on an unsolved Police Murder Inquiry). Old family papers spanning 400 years of 3 characters and families, who were rubbing shoulders with my mystery ancestor, have just appeared on a catalogue!

2. There is far too much information to keep in your head when researching and dealing with a family tree going back this far.

When my mind has quickly gone rusty, those notes, dates, names, places and catalogue references are most important.

3. A person taking this on, needs a thorough working knowledge inside out, of the family tree themselves and to see all the actual main evidence yourself ... the Certificates, Census, Will copies, Parish Register copies, Working Notes and all information acquired by your Grandfather.

Other people in the family household on Census day/night (1911 back to 1841) might be related, sometimes even a 'Visitor' in the Census has found to be related when researched.

----------

The Marriage listed as a Bishops Transcript image of the 1757 Banns Marriage is on FindMyPast and is most interesting, because it says it was the marriage John Higgs, but signed with the Mark of John Hicks??

A check of both an image of the actual Parish Register and Bishop's Transcript (copy of that Register) for comparison, is required.

----------

Witnesses - sometimes one or both can be church officials, but sometimes the witnesses might be relatives?

Mark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
That is fascinating BushInn, and I feel excited at he prospect of doing some more detailed research myself. Because Grandad did not have access to the net and visited parishes himself, he had a theory that John Higgs may have come over from Ireland as the name Higgs has Irish links and he could not find anything conclusive in the Staffordshire area. Otherwise, John could be connected to the Thomas Higgs branch mentioned above, which I'm sure he researched too.

A spelling error in the name, as you suggested, could also be an explanation. I hope there is more info out there, and not just a lack of recorded information.

I have noticed that a lot of the online Family History research websites charge a membership fee, even if they appear to be free initially. Are you able to recommend a good one that has access to a good renage of records that is worth joining please?   

Thank you again for your help.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 December 18 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello

It is about going methodically backward one stage at a time Death - Marriage - Birth - etc and saying to yourself, does this match up and with the Census too (Census back from 1911)? Hang on to that tree and any other information.

Your local Library or an Archive may have free access to FH sites to try them out. Some Libraries or History Societies run groups (with volunteer/s).

I wouldn't know which had the best coverage of records for Staffordshire, as they vary by county.

Don't forget FamilySearch.org, who also have History Centres where you can book & access actual images of documents they have online so far.

Free BMD has an awful lot of the GRO, Index of BMD, indexed.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

'General Register Office' an official gov.uk site, to check Maiden name of Mother at Birth etc.

Official Notices in the Gazette worth a check
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Some images of Church Marriages are appearing online.

For Wills since 1858
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

When searching for Wills (pre 1858), with some Wills you only get an Index online, the Will should be available at an archive, if not online.

Mark