Author Topic: BAGILLT Baptism Records - No Father Listed?  (Read 904 times)

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BAGILLT Baptism Records - No Father Listed?
« on: Thursday 06 December 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've been looking through the Wales, Flintshire, Parish Registers, 1538-1912 for Bagillt and my ancestors baptism record and a couple of his siblings have no father listed, just the mother.

The mother was widowed some years before the birth of my ancestor and his siblings and didn't remarry so it would allude to the parents being unmarried.

The thing I find strange is that 1) the vicar hasn't written any comments about there being no father written in the records, I've seen other vicars write "natural child of...", "base child of..." etc. and other comments like this. 2) the children born after the death of the mother's husband are still given the deceased husbands surname, when everyone in the village would have known the husband was already deceased.

The vicar was James Evans Jones (J E Jones).

Additionally, my ancestor has no birth record or birth certificate, either that or its been destroyed. He wrote the deceased husbands name as his father on his marriage certificate, but he died 5 years before he was born so that can't be true. I have ordered his siblings birth certificates which I am still waiting for (although I'm half expecting these to have the deceased husbands name on as well)

Can anyone offer any incite into the circumstances around these baptism records?

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BAGILLT Baptism Records - No Father Listed?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Not a requirement that notes about possible parentage or 'baseborn' be written into the baptismal register.

Also it wasn't the deceased father's name that they were baptised into it was the mother's name which obviously was still the name of her deceased husband.

On marriage a father's name may have been made up to avoid any stigma.  May even be a grandparents name.

It depends when the birth took place as to whether there was a certificate or registration.  If you provide a name and date we may be able to check for you.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline c5el

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BAGILLT Baptism Records - No Father Listed?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Today I've received the siblings birth certificates and they both have no father listed so the chances are that my ancestors birth certificate would say the same. Very interesting