Author Topic: New website: auto-clustering your matches  (Read 7054 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Re: New website: auto-clustering your matches
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 December 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Pheno,

I’m still a comparative newbie on DNA testing. On your first question, I think you’re correct. The image I’ve attached here is a manual cross-tab of a group my matches I had identified in Ancestry. This has now become the 6th cluster in, coloured bright pink.

On the second question, I’m less sure. I would imagine that there will only be an overlap to the extent that people on Ancestry have also uploaded to FTDNA. You may be better posting the question at the end of Roberts’s blog article.
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 December 18 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Well something has gone wrong.

All I have is empty CSV files as results. A problem my end or theirs?

I might settle for searching manually.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 December 18 06:00 GMT (UK) »
What about the ethics of taking other people’s data without their consent and uploading it to another website?

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 December 18 06:22 GMT (UK) »
What about the ethics of taking other people’s data without their consent and uploading it to another website?

I thought about that as well. The problem initially is that if you give Genetic Affairs access to your ancestry account, it can look at all of the accounts you have access to.

As far as I know, it doesn't access the individual accounts until you ask it to do so, settings are set to 'Update Interval - Never', when you first go into it.

You can delete any account you don't want it to access at startup. I was left with three, mine and my husband's plus a first cousin.

I ran the cluster test on my DNA only, and haven't got anything back as yet. I am manager of my husband's DNA account and he has given me permission to do what I want with it
I have since deleted the first cousin's account as well, after realising the implications. She gave me access, but no express or implied consent to do anything else but look at the results

I am having second thoughts about it though. I have used 34 credits with nothing back, other than to tell me mine and my husband's 20 closest matches.

I'll see if I can sort the CSV file out and report back.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 December 18 07:51 GMT (UK) »
You make good points about other accounts, Sugarfizzle. However, I may have misunderstood what the site does, but are you not also loading information about your matches?

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 December 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
You make good points about other accounts, Sugarfizzle. However, I may have misunderstood what the site does, but are you not also loading information about your matches?

I don't fully understand as yet how it works, but you don't actually upload information to the site.

It is like giving someone else access to your results, just like a few people have given me access to theirs.

There is no personal information given about any matches.

Whether it is wise to give someone unknown and unconnected access to my results is another matter, but I don't think it is a matter of 'taking other people’s data without their consent and uploading it to another website'.

This is a very important aspect that you have raised, and I will be interested to see what others think.

Regards Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 December 18 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Well something has gone wrong.

All I have is empty CSV files as results. A problem my end or theirs?

I might settle for searching manually.

Regards Margaret

A very prompt reply from Genetic Affairs in answer to my problem.

"So the files were present but completely empty? Perhaps your mail client is removing them, could you download using a webversion of your mail?"

Worked straightaway, but got to go out, no time to look through!

Regards Margaret

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 December 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Observation

I have looked at the site (Genetic Affairs) and read the Roberta Estes blog a few times and from what I can make out you have to give your log in to Ancestry, ftDNA or wherever to a third party site (Genetic Affairs). That third party site then logs into your account and mines the information there on your account and those of people who match it. If I have got this right I am unhappy about it because

1. you are giving out your log in and password to a third party to use
2. the third party is accessing your data, well that's OK if you give them permission but it is also accessing the information of who you match with and who have not given their permission for third parties to access it.
3. I am not sure how sites like Ancestry, ftDNA etc can justify this (yes I know they will argue that it is the account holders giving their permission but that is not wholly true is it, see 2 above).

So on reflection I will not be using this facility.

Question

What is of more interest to me is how is this new company doing this. A major gripe people have with Ancestry is that it does not have a chromosome browser to interpret tree matches. Yet this new site must gain access to the raw data of results if they can tabulate matches the way they do. That being the case why can't we have access to the data the new website is obviously getting? Anyone fancy questioning Ancestry about this and whether a chromosome browser is on the horizon?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 December 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
A major gripe people have with Ancestry is that it does not have a chromosome browser to interpret tree matches. Yet this new site must gain access to the raw data of results if they can tabulate matches the way they do. That being the case why can't we have access to the data the new website is obviously getting? Anyone fancy questioning Ancestry about this and whether a chromosome browser is on the horizon?

Exactly what's been going through my mind

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S