Author Topic: New website: auto-clustering your matches  (Read 7056 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
New website: auto-clustering your matches
« on: Thursday 06 December 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
If, like me, you’re stuck with Ancestry matches and a lack of people uploading to other sites with chromosome browsers, you may be interested in this new website: https://www.geneticaffairs.com/

It’s free to register; you upload your data and it runs a cross-tabulation of all your matches (within defined parameters either of closeness of relationship, or a cM range). The clever bit is that it reorganises the massive chart into clusters where several matches all match each other.  This doesn’t PROVE they’re all on the family line, but it does help to narrow things down and focus your research.

There’s a helpful blog post here: https://dna-explained.com/2018/12/04/autoclustering-by-genetic-affairs/

The first few runs are free and then you can either pay for ad hoc updates or regular ones.  As I have just my own data and new matches are only trickling in I’ll probably re-run it every couple of months.

Janey
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New website: auto-clustering your matches
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
https://www.geneticaffairs.com/

The above is the website link (it got merged into the text in the above post)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Here’s a photo of the output from my data (names removed).
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Janey, thank you I shall investigate that almost straight away. That picture matches our kitchen wallpaper by the way.

Martin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 December 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I was alerted to this as well, by Roberta Estes blog, DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy

https://dna-explained.com/2018/12/04/autoclustering-by-genetic-affairs/

I don't quite understand how the charging system works, I suppose the only way to find out is to use it.

It certainly looks interesting.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 December 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
This is the subject of Roberta Estes latest blog!

I am having a problem registering as  Ancestry  is sending an "error" message to my log-in,but I have had a welcome e-mail and 200 credits from the company ???

Will follow it up tomorrow :)

Kim

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 December 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
On the charging, you can choose to subscribe or just pay for ad hoc updates.

For subscription there is the choice of 3x per week, weekly or monthly automatic updates, then multiply by the number of kits you administer to get a charge.

I have just my own kit so the 200 free credits will last me for a few months if I only update once a month. I have nearly 200 matches at 4th cousin or closer, and this only goes up by 3-5 per month at the moment.  Once all the Black Friday / Cyber Monday kits come online then I guess matches will speed up again!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
So, a credit is one set of auto clusters?

I have just signed up and am going through the set up details.
I manage mine and my husband's and have access to my first cousin's DNA. So  presumably 3 credits will do for the first set?

Regards Margaret

Modified.

Monthly updates cost 18 credits per profile search
Weekly updates cost 9 credits per profile search
Daily updates cost 3 credits per profile search.
AutoCluster analysis cost 25 credits per search.
Also - 'You are currently within your free trial period. Your trial will expire on October 16th, 2020.'

Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 December 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Am interested but need a bit of clarification.

Presumably, if all tests (including those you manage) are with Ancestry it is automatically doing the job that currently we have to do manually using the DNA match search option and just tidying up into clusters those testers who match with you and each other - i.e. the shared matches

If I also upload someone who has tested with FtDNA but not with Ancestry is there any overlap between the tests at the two sites with the clusters?

Any disadvantages?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire