Author Topic: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.  (Read 4599 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 December 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Brighton Gazette, 28 Oct 1841

It carries a report of " ... the preventative men of the Enchantress station, under the command of Lieutenant Stanbury ... " attempting to save a French sloop in difficulties.
It mentions "He (ie. Lt Stanbury) then, accompanied by his son, at the utmost peril of life ..."

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 December 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Revisiting the baptisms of Peter and Ann Stanbury who baptised all their children in Hatherleigh between 1786 and 1802,  I noticed that on the baptism of Peter Stanbury on 14 Nov 1790 the word "pauper" is listed. Not on all of the others though. 

Then I picked up on the ship news entry on the welsh newspapers on line …. Arrived - Milford, the Pembroke Castle, Stanbury 19 Dec 1835.

Transcriptions of British merchant seamen, 1835-57 … where I was found several entries for Stanbury's.

55.421 - Peter Stanbury, 23, Plymouth dates in 1843 with ship names, rank (not clear)
55.422 - William Stanbury, 41, Devonshire date that looks like 1845 and ship name, rank (unclear, Sd?)
55.423 - Peter Stanbury, 53, Hatherleigh, date in 1844 and ship name, rank CK
55.417 - William Stanbury, 46, Hatherleigh, dates in 1843 and the ships names "Pembroke Castle".  Rank C.

Entry 55.417 - this William Stanbury surely must be same person arriving on the Pembroke Castle at Milford in 1835? This entry gives the correct birth year and birth place as my William.

I can't clearly understanding the ranking abbreviations on these entries. Knowing if entry 55.417 was a ship's captain would help me with identifying the William Stanburys in the census records. 

Your thoughts please.

Also, wondering whether 55.423 could have been William's older brother Peter Stanbury. Correct birth year and place.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, a useful reference - I'll save that.
So 55.417 was Captain on the ship and 55.423 was a cook.(I can't make out the other two though).

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 December 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Bingo!  Great result from the Rootschat team.  So Mary Stanbury died on 15 October 1858 which ties in with William senior living at Pembroke Dock when he died on 1867.  I have Mary mmn Maunder's baptism 10 Sept 1794 but this has to be the right person.  Thank you.

Just to clarify - William Stanbury, R.N/Coastguard, was a widower on the 1851 Census.

The Mary that died 1858 would appear to fit the 1851 Census entry for -
Mary Stanbury, age 65, mother in law, Captain's wife lodger, born Plymouth

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 December 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I still think that the 1851 census entry for Mary Stanbury (mother-in-law) married birth year 1786 Captains wife, lodge, born Plymouth, Devon is right. William might be at sea for this census. I'm guessing that Mary Ann Stanbury (head) must be her daughter in law who was married to Peter Stanbury, Mary's son.  He fits the bill as the cook on the British Merchant Seamen list below. As he is not listed, he would also be at sea.

But the main reason I still think these folk are mine is the lodger, Samuel Bagshaw, living with them - he was my great grand uncle and who eventually went on to marry Margaret Ann Angel Stanbury.

I still don't have a record for William or Mary in 1841 - could they both be at sea?
I think I'm saying William is at sea in 1851.
And William :-[ is the person I quote on the 1861 census, as a widower living in Haverfordwest - a Master Mariner Pension of Merchant Funds. He is dead by the 1871 census.

Do you agree?

???

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 December 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - just wanted to rule out William the coastguard ie.
1) William Stanbury (Lieut RN) married Theresa Anderson 6 Feb 1817, Plympton
2) Jane Elizabeth Parrimore Stanbury, bap 20 Mar 1823, parents William (Lieut RN) and Theresa
3) GRO Death registration Theresa Stanbury, Mar Qtr 1851, Lewes,  age 64

Re. "Mary Stanbury, died Oct 14 1858, residence Milford, age 75" (parish burial register) and "Mary, age 75, wife of Captain W. Stanbury" (newspaper death notice) the age at death does not "fit" the Mary Maunder, born 1794 - your initial post. I can see a Mary Maunder bap 1783 (Saltash) and 1785 (Devonport) as possibles.
Note - cannot find a GRO death registartion for this Mary.

There's a Mary Stanbury/Felix link at HO107  274  25  45

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 December 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Also, wondering whether 55.423 could have been William's older brother Peter Stanbury. Correct birth year and place.

Peter Stanbury was a Royal Navy man, he married his first wife Sarah Valdrey in 1818 in Portsmouth, Hampshire, and they are together in Stoke Damerel in 1851 where he is a Greenwich Pensioner.
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 December 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Revisiting the baptisms of Peter and Ann Stanbury who baptised all their children in Hatherleigh between 1786 and 1802,  I noticed that on the baptism of Peter Stanbury on 14 Nov 1790 the word "pauper" is listed. Not on all of the others though.

Peter STANBURY and Ann ANGEL married in 1781 but did not start baptising children in Hatherleigh until 1786.  I wonder if there were any earlier children elsewhere?  There is an Elizabeth STANBERRY daughter of Peter and Ann baptised in Brixham in 1784.  It might fit with Peter being a seafarer who "swallowed the anchor" and settled down inland where his wife's family were well established. but whose sons went to sea in their turn.  I can't find anything else about this Elizabeth though!
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!