Author Topic: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.  (Read 4666 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 December 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I have inherited a very old part of a tree from Thomas Angell down to my mother, which, I was told was created after her father went down to London to research the information. Of Peter Stanbury and Ann Angell it states that they had 4 sons and 4 daughters 1784 - 1802 (no actual names/birth dates) just William born 1796, died 1867.  I had inserted a female unknown entry for 1784 in my tree.

I had seen the birth of Elizabeth Stanberry on 7 March 1784 at Brixham (Peter and Ann Stanbury) but had discounted it, as it was out of the area. But supposing they had for some reason started off their married life away from Hatherleigh it's possible they could have lived in Brixham.  I found a burial of an Elizabeth Stanbury on 6 May 1788 at Bere Ferrers.  The thing is, Peter & Ann were having children at Hatherleigh by then, so its unlikely that this Elizabeth could not have been theirs.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »

[/quote]But the main reason I still think these folk are mine is the lodger, Samuel Bagshaw, living with them - he was my great grand uncle and who eventually went on to marry Margaret Ann Angel Stanbury.

Just realised the last bit is wrong. Samuel Bagshaw b.1818 married Margaret Ann Angel Stanbury. The lodger Samuel Bagshaw b.1846 in the 1851 census was the grandson of Mary Stanbury. For some reason he is staying in Haverfordwest in the household of his aunt and not with his mother, father and siblings William, Mary Ann and Sarah in Saint Mary, Pembroke.  :-\

Offline CodyCockwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 December 21 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I realize this post is several years old, but hoping you're still interested.  I noted your comments about the Elizabeth Stanbury bap at Brixham in 1784.  She is my ancestor and she was the daughter of Peter Stanbury and Ann Angell.  She married ? Smith firstly, and secondly Richard Heard in 1810 at East Stonehouse.  Richard was a mariner.  They named some of their children as follows: Ann Angel Heard and Jemima Jane Stanbury Heard.  In the 1851 census Elizabeth gives her birthplace as Brixham.  Their daughter who is my ancestor Elizabeth Peters Heard married Philip Thomas Nancollas Bennett.  In the 1881 census she is living with her cousin, Mary Friend.  This Mary is Mary Fewins b. abt 1831 Hatherleigh d/o John Fewins and Ann Stanbury, which further cements the connection.
I have been working with some Stanbury DNA matches through Ancestry.  An intriguing match is a descendant of Jane Stanbury b. abt 1780 and married William Collins in 1809 at Okehampton.  I am just trying to work out her parentage, there are 3 candidates, but one possibility goes back to Samuel of Mary of Inwardleigh. 
Cody
Devon - Cockwill, Soper, Turner, Bennett, Kimp, Jones, Dicker, Luxton, Hutchings, Trimlett, Hammett, Stevens, Ebsary, Fraine, Pearen, Stidson, Heard, Charters
Cornwall - Nancollas
Cumberland - Earle, Warwick, Atkinson
Northumberland - Stephenson, Cobb, Rickaby
Wiltshire - Avery, Mills, Matthews
Lincoln - Green, Watson, Allison, Webster
Cheshire - Rigby, Stringer
Norfolk - Garrod, Flood, Hubbard, Vincent, Robinson
NE Scotland - Christie, Grant, Merson, McIntyre, Humphrey, Donald, Lawrence

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 January 22 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cody
Thank you for taking an interest in my post and your contribution to the identity of Elizabeth Stanbury baptised at Brixham in 1784. I need to look back at my tree to refresh my memory of the family. It's great that more information is coming to light as obviously there are many descendants of the Stanbury/Angell family out there. 

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 January 22 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cody, you and I have corresponded before about our ancestors and relations.  I'm not sure why you think Elizabeth married a Smith?  FamilySearch has images of the Marriage Bond and Marriage Licence, both dated 26 November 1810.  Both describe her as Elizabeth Stanbury, an unmarried woman above the age of twentyone.  Richard was a seaman on HM Ship Rhin.  They don't seem to have a record of the actual marriage though, and I cant find it anywhere else.

Happy New Year, and happy hunting!

(edited to add, I have now found the transcription of the marriage on FindMyPast, which does indeed show Elizabeth as SMITH.  In the absence of the actual image, I am going to take that as a mistake.)
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline CodyCockwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 January 22 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,  I did send you an email to the last one I had on file, so just following up to see if you received it.
Devon - Cockwill, Soper, Turner, Bennett, Kimp, Jones, Dicker, Luxton, Hutchings, Trimlett, Hammett, Stevens, Ebsary, Fraine, Pearen, Stidson, Heard, Charters
Cornwall - Nancollas
Cumberland - Earle, Warwick, Atkinson
Northumberland - Stephenson, Cobb, Rickaby
Wiltshire - Avery, Mills, Matthews
Lincoln - Green, Watson, Allison, Webster
Cheshire - Rigby, Stringer
Norfolk - Garrod, Flood, Hubbard, Vincent, Robinson
NE Scotland - Christie, Grant, Merson, McIntyre, Humphrey, Donald, Lawrence

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Cody, got distracted by the 1921 census.  Out of sight, out of mind!  I'll get back to you!
Researching:
All in glorious Devon!

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Again I've thought that William Stanbury's parents were Peter Stanbury b.1754 Inwardleigh and Ann Angell b.1757 Hatherleigh.

I have proved to my own satisfaction that my greatx5 grandfather Peter STANBURY who married Ann ANGEL is NOT Peter STANBURY son of Samuel and Mary,  baptised Inwardleigh 28 Apr 1754.  This Peter married Martha YEO 27 Mar 1780 at Inwardleigh

I have also checked and discounted a possible will:

1078/IRW/S/1335  1818
These documents are held at Devon Record Office
Contents:
Peter Stanbury of Inwardleigh, Devon

The will refers to his wife Martha.

I have not identified Peter STANBURY, though I have Ann ANGEL's line back to the 1600s.

Just wonder if you've had any more luck in identifying Peter Stanbury, maybe finding a burial record for him. There's a burial 1832 East Stonehouse which is where daughter Elizabeth married, so could he have ended his days there? YOB is 1752. No obvious burial for wife Ann in East Stonehouse but there is one 1806 Plymouth St Andrew, but no notes to it. Could the family have moved to Plymouth and father Peter moved in with daughter Elizabeth after wife Ann died?

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 20 January 22 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Still no clue as to the identity of Peter Stanbury, I had another try yesterday.  I believe Peter died 1816 in Bickleigh, Plymouth, aged 56 which would mean he was more or less the same age as Ann.  "Ann Stanbury wife of Peter Stanbury" was buried in Bickleigh in 1804.
Researching:
All in glorious Devon!