Author Topic: George GETTLIFFE  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George GETTLIFFE
« on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
George Gettliffe was born c1795, probably in Ashbourne or nearby.

The first definite record I can find for him is his marriage to Henrietta Douglas in Apr 1814 at All Saints in Derby. He is of full age and a tailor.

His trade is confirmed in 1828 one 1835 Trade Directories, where he is listed as a tailor based in Compton. In addition, the 1841 census lists his as a tailor aged 45 born in Derbyshire.

He died in May 1845 in Compton and Clifton aged 50, suggesting once again a birth in c1795.

Some trees on Ancestry seem to suggest that his father was Robert Gettliffe, a tailor of Ashbourne, and his wife, Ann Bradbury. I can see no evidence to support this such as baptism records, though it may well be true. At the moment, it just seems to be one of those "facts" that proliferate from one Ancestry tree to another, without any proof being offered.

There seem to be an awful lot of Gettliffes in the area, with most of the males being tailors.

I know that there is evidence of a marriage between Robert Gettliffe and Ann Bradbury on 13 May 1777 in Ashbourne and George may well be one of their offspring, though his birth would have been about 20 years after their marriage, which to my mind is pushing it but not impossible.

I would really like to find a baptism record for George.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George GETTLIFFE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
I originally posted this some two years ago with not a lot of success. I still think that it is possible if not likely that George's parents were Robert Gettliffe, a tailor of Ashbourne, and Ann Bradbury, who married in May 1777 in Ashbourne.

So far I have found two possible baptisms:

John  - baptised 27 Dec 1791 to Robert & Ann Gettliffe in Ashbourne
James - baptised 06 Jan 1797 to Robert & Ann Gettliffe in Ashbourne.

Are these dates too late? Are we talking about another Robert and Ann Gettliffe?

There is also an article in the local paper noting the death on 09 Aug 1845 in Milan, Italy of Eliza, the only daughter of the late Peter Dedoldi, and the grand-daughter of Robert Gettliffe, a tailor of Ashbourne. This is interesting as there are two possible marriages:

Sarah Gettliffe m Pietro Antonio Tedoldi on 15 Feb 1813 at St Oswald, Ashbourne
Elizabeth GETTLIFFE m Peter Antonie Tedoldi on 31 Jan 1813 at All Saints, Derby

It would be nice to pierce together a reasonably accurate family tree. Many of the trees on Ancestry are to say the least incestuous feeding off each other, inconsistent and poorly sourced. Just as an example, even though the paper clearly states that Peter Dedoldi was dead as early as 1845, most of the trees have him dying in 1858.

I would really appreciate some help in making sense of these relatives of mine.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
Have you found baptisms for Sarah/Elizabeth Gettliffe?

If the 2 marriages you have posted are of 2 different couples, then there are to 2 different Peter/Pietro Antonie/o D/Tedoldi, then there should be 2 different death dates for him.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 09:33 BST (UK) »
In 1841 there is a death for an Antonio Pietro Tedoldi, age 59, late of Derby, in Milan, F M P newspapers.  (Birth around 1781)

There is a Tedoldi advertising teaching French and Italian in newspapers in 1825 in Derby.

A Monsieur Tedoldi is selling a newly buit house (messuage) in 1820, New Road near Ashbourne.

Miss Tedoldi is singing and playing the piano in Derby Choral Society in 1837.

Pedro Antonio Tetoldi is described as a French Prisoner of War on his marriage to Sarah (in 1813), in the presence of George Getliffe.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Sarah Tedoldi, probate 1858, executrix niece Jane Emma Davenport (Sarah with that family in 1851).

Emma is 36 in 1851, married to William Robert Davenport.
Their children give mother's maiden name as Cheadle.

Added:
William Robert Davenport is the son of Mary Getliffe and John Davenport.

Added:
Just found another Jane E Davenport on different 1851 census, age 40, with parents John and Mary.

I was mixing up my generations, as had found Sarah in 1851 with Davenports.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to replies and a private message, I have made considerable progress. I now know that Robert Gettliffe and Ann Bradbury were the parents of George Gettliffe. For the five children mentioned in Robert Gettliffe's will, I now have baptism records for three of them, plus marriage records for the four who married, and burial records for all five.

I am still missing baptism records for Mary (born c1782) and George (born c 1796), the latter being particularly irritating as he is in my direct line. When searching do not confuse the Mary born in 1782 who went on to marry John Davenport, with the Mary not mentioned in the will who was born in February 1778 and died in March 1778.

I am also missing a baptism for a Sarah who died in February 1780 and who was probably born in c1777.

The other mystery is what became of Robert's wife Ann. I know that she survived Robert and died after 1820, as there is an advert in the Derby Record in October 1820 stating her intention to keep the business running. I can find no record of her after this, either in local deaths or the 1841 census.

Help with the outstanding missing pieces would be much appreciated.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
For the benefit of anyone who comes looking for the same family in the future and finds this post, could you reference the baptisms and marriages for the children?

Thanks

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
The parents were:

Robert Gettliffe: Bap (unknown), m 13 May 1777 to Ann BRADBURY, Bur 05 Oct 1820
Ann Bradbury: Bap (unknown), m 13 May 1777 to Robert GETTLIFFE, Bur (unknown)

The 8 children I have found are:

Sarah: Bap (unknown), Bur 23 Feb 1780
Mary: Bap 22 Feb 1778, Bur 31 mar 1778
Mary: Bap (unknown), m 26 Sep 1804 to John DAVENPORT, Bur 17 Aug 1859
Sarah: Bap 15 Jul 1789, m 15 Feb 1813 to Pietro TEDOLDI, Bur 04 May 1858
John: Bap 27 Dec 1791, m 13 Jan 1814 to Sarah HASKEY, Bur 01 Nov 1855
George: Bap (unknown), m 30 Apr 1814 to Henrietta DOUGLAS, Bur 11 May 1845
James: Bap 06 Jan 1797, Bur 14 Feb 1799
Ann: Bap 26 Sep 1801, Bur 11 Jan 1820

I would really appreciate some help with the items highlighted in red.