Author Topic: George GETTLIFFE  (Read 49 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George GETTLIFFE
« on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
George Gettliffe was born c1795, probably in Ashbourne or nearby.

The first definite record I can find for him is his marriage to Henrietta Douglas in Apr 1814 at All Saints in Derby. He is of full age and a tailor.

His trade is confirmed in 1828 one 1835 Trade Directories, where he is listed as a tailor based in Compton. In addition, the 1841 census lists his as a tailor aged 45 born in Derbyshire.

He died in May 1845 in Compton and Clifton aged 50, suggesting once again a birth in c1795.

Some trees on Ancestry seem to suggest that his father was Robert Gettliffe, a tailor of Ashbourne, and his wife, Ann Bradbury. I can see no evidence to support this such as baptism records, though it may well be true. At the moment, it just seems to be one of those "facts" that proliferate from one Ancestry tree to another, without any proof being offered.

There seem to be an awful lot of Gettliffes in the area, with most of the males being tailors.

I know that there is evidence of a marriage between Robert Gettliffe and Ann Bradbury on 13 May 1777 in Ashbourne and George may well be one of their offspring, though his birth would have been about 20 years after their marriage, which to my mind is pushing it but not impossible.

I would really like to find a baptism record for George.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.