Author Topic: McLeans/McCleans of Armagh  (Read 1651 times)

Offline OutlandMcLean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLeans/McCleans of Armagh
« on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I've been tracing my family for a few years now but only recently had success with my father's side (the McLeans).
Started my research in Glasgow and have now discovered that they originate from Armagh.
I've got back to my ggg-grandparents, Patrick McLean/McClean and Ann Jane McCann. I know they were married in 1852, in Drumcree, Portadown, Armagh, and had several children around Loughall and Tartaraghan, and Drumcree. However, I'd now like to go further back, and continue tracing the McLeans. I'd like to find Patrick's birth certificate if possible, but haven't had any luck so far.
On some certificates he is Pat, some Patrick. In some records he is McLean, others McClean, and wouldn't be at all surprised if any other variations of the surname were attributed to him.
Any help would be much appreciated. The information I have so far:

Marriage certificate (10th December 1852, Drumcree) ALSO (10 March 1853) - there seems to have been some confusion when writing down the date, as there is a crossed out version. I assume it is meant to be March 1853 (Patrick McLean on both)

Baptism record for James McLean, 25th September 1859 (Patrick McClean used)
Birth record for Cathrine/Catherine McLean, 5 May 1864 (Patrick McClean used)
Birth record for Mary McLean, 20 Feb 1866 (Patrick McClean used)
Baptism record for Patrick McLean, 12 May 1868 (Pat McLean used)
Birth or baptism record for Elizabeth McLean, 5 November 1868 (possibly not one of the family)

Thank you x

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McLeans/McCleans of Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Civil Reg  Marriage results for Patrick McLean from 1853 to 1853

No results found.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Is anything online?

If so, can you post links to save people time searching for them?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I've been tracing my family for a few years now but only recently had success with my father's side (the McLeans).
Started my research in Glasgow and have now discovered that they originate from Armagh.
I've got back to my ggg-grandparents, Patrick McLean/McClean and Ann Jane McCann. I know they were married in 1852, in Drumcree, Portadown, Armagh, and had several children around Loughall and Tartaraghan, and Drumcree. However, I'd now like to go further back, and continue tracing the McLeans. I'd like to find Patrick's birth certificate if possible, but haven't had any luck so far.
On some certificates he is Pat, some Patrick. In some records he is McLean, others McClean, and wouldn't be at all surprised if any other variations of the surname were attributed to him.
Any help would be much appreciated. The information I have so far:

Marriage certificate (10th December 1852, Drumcree) ALSO (10 March 1853) - there seems to have been some confusion when writing down the date, as there is a crossed out version. I assume it is meant to be March 1853 (Patrick McLean on both)

Baptism record for James McLean, 25th September 1859 (Patrick McClean used)
Birth record for Cathrine/Catherine McLean, 5 May 1864 (Patrick McClean used)
Birth record for Mary McLean, 20 Feb 1866 (Patrick McClean used)
Baptism record for Patrick McLean, 12 May 1868 (Pat McLean used)
Birth or baptism record for Elizabeth McLean, 5 November 1868 (possibly not one of the family)

Thank you x

C Reg Marriage results for Patrick McLean from 1852 to 1853

No results found.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
The marriage looks to me to have taken place on 10th March 1852 (not 1853). I think the priest must have forgotten to record it at the time, because it appears out of place in the register (ie at the end of December). Perhaps he was checking his records for the year and realised he’d missed it?

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632568#page/108/mode/1up

I am not convinced the record has been scored out. I think those may just be pen marks.

What date of marriage is given on the children’s birth certificates? For the years 1855, and 1861 onwards, Scottish birth certificates normally record where and when the parents married. You’ve listed 3 children born 1864 – 1868. All of those certificates should contain the parents date and place of marriage, as given by them to the Registrar.

You won’t get a birth certificate for Patrick because they were only introduced in Ireland in 1864. You might find his baptism if the records go back far enough. But you’ll need his parents names to be sure of getting the right one. Did he die in Scotland? If so, his death certificate should contain that information.
Elwyn

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 December 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »

Offline OutlandMcLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
The marriage looks to me to have taken place on 10th March 1852 (not 1853). I think the priest must have forgotten to record it at the time, because it appears out of place in the register (ie at the end of December). Perhaps he was checking his records for the year and realised he’d missed it?

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632568#page/108/mode/1up

I am not convinced the record has been scored out. I think those may just be pen marks.

What date of marriage is given on the children’s birth certificates? For the years 1855, and 1861 onwards, Scottish birth certificates normally record where and when the parents married. You’ve listed 3 children born 1864 – 1868. All of those certificates should contain the parents date and place of marriage, as given by them to the Registrar.

You won’t get a birth certificate for Patrick because they were only introduced in Ireland in 1864. You might find his baptism if the records go back far enough. But you’ll need his parents names to be sure of getting the right one. Did he die in Scotland? If so, his death certificate should contain that information.

All the birth records are from Ireland, and the only versions I've found personally are from baptism. The only things written are the baby's name, the dad's name, and the mother's name and maiden name.

Eileen just posted the birth records for two of the children, but their date of marriage is not recorded either.

Birth for the daughter in 1866 indicates they were from Derrinraw:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03546/2305346.pdf

And son in March 1868 (which rules out child in November 1868):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1868/03458/2269788.pdf

Thank you, Eileen! I can't seem to find them when I search myself, on either civil or church, but thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Irish birth certificates do not record date and place of parents' marriage (Scottish ones do though) and registration didn't start until 1864 so you won't find any earlier ones.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!