Author Topic: Medals of Dutch sailors who lived in England, were they awarded them?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Medals of Dutch sailors who lived in England, were they awarded them?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 December 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, many thanks for your continued input  :)

clayton bradley, could I ask what medals your Dad received, did he have to apply for them, or were they automatically sent to him?

Seaweed, thank you for the information regarding the GADILA, I know my mother used to mention receiving letters from him as a child, sent from Canada.

Hugh, many thanks for your reply, I have Emailed the site provided by seaweed and will hopefully receive a reply in due course.

Once again my sincere thanks to you all for your input into my post.

Best regards always

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 December 18 12:15 GMT (UK) »
You may need official details of the wartime movements of GADILA. Her movement card can be downloaded from the National Archives website. Cost £3.50.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8658336
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 December 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi seaweed, many thanks for that, I will download it now  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/82528443/person/150104614101/media/aa671b9b-3b10-4a1a-bfa1-1a11cbf13516?_phsrc=Vvz25238&usePUBJs=true

This is on my tree. My brother has the medals but I do have a photo. Will have another look for it. Dad just got them automatically, I think and a Dutch Bible.
Thanks to MaxD. I will ask my uncle's widow what Uncle Wouter got, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 December 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi clayton bradley, thank you for the reply, it's very much appreciated  :)

Frank.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 December 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 December 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
You may need official details of the wartime movements of GADILA. Her movement card can be downloaded from the National Archives website. Cost £3.50.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8658336

What an interesting thread.
I wondered why details of MV Gadila would be stored at the (British) National Archive, so I asked Mr Google's opinion.
Wikipedia says: "MV Gadila was built at the Howaldtswerke, Kiel, Germany and completed 11 April 1935 as an oil tanker for the Royal Dutch/Shell line. She was converted at Smith's Dock, North Shields between April 1943 and 1 February 1944. She entered service as a MAC ship in March 1944, and operated under the Netherlands Mercantile Marine flag.[1]

As a MAC ship, she had no aircraft hangar, and continued to carry normal cargoes with a mercantile ship's crew, although operating under British Royal Navy control. Only her air crew and the necessary maintenance staff were Naval personnel.[2] In the case of the Gadila, these were provided by the Royal Netherlands Navy and served as elements of Fleet Air Arm 860 (Dutch) Naval Air Squadron."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Gadila

That explains the National Archive interest..... but I don't know if it helps you untangle the question at all?  :-\ 

Personally, I would be inclined to approach both British and Dutch Naval sources with your query.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 December 18 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello mowsehowse, :)  many thanks for the reply, Yes I will probably have to follow the Netherlands Naval path shortly, in the meantime I am awaiting a possible reply from Henk Meurs on the link kindly provided by seaweed, hopefully he may be able to shed some light on my question.

Many thanks again for your input and my best regards always.

Frank  :)