Author Topic: Shettleston death in 1912 - where buried?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shettleston death in 1912 - where buried?
« on: Friday 07 December 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
As topic title. Working on a friend's tree and have traced a cousin branch of his mam's to Shettleston, just don't know which cemetery to look at. A long shot I know, but is there any one which is more likely for the year in question? I'm afraid I don't have a specific address.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shettleston death in 1912 - where buried?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 December 18 15:06 GMT (UK) »
The closest would either be Sandymount or Tollcross Cemeteries, but Riddrie Park is also reasonably near.

Have you tried looking for a Death Announcement in the Glasgow Herald? Both the Herald and the Evening Times are online via Google Newspaper Archives, (although there's no 1912 issues for the Times) see:

Herald: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC
Times: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2mus-XyGPC0C

Anne

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
The death cert. will give place of death & if not at home will give 'usual residence'.

Denomination may also have to be considered for place of burial.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 December 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Aye, the death certificate would come in useful, though as this isn't a paid gig I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money finding out, especially as it isn't a direct line. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can using free sites and my existing subs. For this person's death, all I have is the year and registration district from the Scotland's People index. She hadn't been in Shettleston long, the 1911 census places her in Southwick (near Sunderland) before she joined her husband who was working in Glasgow. I'm coming up empty for burial matches on Wearside though, so eastern Glasgow seems reasonable. Are there any cemetery registers online for that area by any chance?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
The place of death may not necessarily be anywhere near where she lived or was buried.

It may be an idea to post the details you know as many people have access to many things or are willing to do look-ups whilst at a location?

All known details of name, surname, maiden name & age on death may get you some help as all we know is she died in Shettleston in 1912.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm coming up empty for burial matches on Wearside though, so eastern Glasgow seems reasonable. Are there any cemetery registers online for that area by any chance?

Sorry, but I've never heard of a Wearside in Scotland.

Someone with more knowledge of Glasgow Burial places should hopefully be along soon.

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 December 18 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but I've never heard of a Wearside in Scotland.
There isn't one. Silverhawk said that the anonymous lady who died in Shettleston in 1912 was in the 1911 census in or near Sunderland, which is on Wearside in England.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 December 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Memento Mori, Lanarkshire has lists of burials at Sandymount Cemetery.      The site also gives various other cemeteries around Glasgow.       The Eastern Necropolis, (Janefield Cemetery), for instance, next to Celtic park, is less than a mile from Shettleston.

Several times, I have walked all round Sandymount  trying to find a grave but it is such a huge cemetery that you really would be extremely lucky to find any particular grave without knowing which section of Sandymount it is situated in.     

You could google Memento Mori, Lanarkshire anyway.          When you google "Memento Mori, Lanarkshire", choose from the list that comes up, the site which simply says "Memento Mori", which should be top of the list.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
The place of death may not necessarily be anywhere near where she lived or was buried.

It may be an idea to post the details you know as many people have access to many things or are willing to do look-ups whilst at a location?

All known details of name, surname, maiden name & age on death may get you some help as all we know is she died in Shettleston in 1912.

Annie

Okay, here's as much as I have. Born Elizabeth Bowes Swinney (sometimes spelled Swiney or even Sweeney depending on the document), September 1884 in Southwick, County Durham to parents Nicholas and Isabel (nee Shotton). Lived at various addresses in Southwick. Married John Catcheside somewhere in Sunderland in 1903.

According to someone else's tree on Ancestry, John couldn't get work locally so went up to Glasgow and sent money back for the family. John, age 27, is on the Scotland's People site in their 1911 census index for Shettleston under the surname spelling Catchside. Elizabeth as forementioned was still in Southwick with their 5 kids (Elizabeth, Isabel, Margaret, Ellen and John Jr) when that census was taken. This person could not find a death for Elizabeth, but thought it was around 1912. There's the death of an Elizabeth Catcheside, age 27, recorded in Shettleston in 1912, ref no 622/2 122. As I knew Scotlands People index by maiden name as well as married name, I narrowed the search to 27 year olds who died in Shettleston in 1912 and the other name which came up (which matched the ref no) was Elizabeth Sweeney. As said, I've found Sweeney to be a common misspelling/mishearing of Swinney when researching this family.

John incidentally didn't survive her by long. He joined the 1st Battalion Cameronians when war broke out and was killed in north-east France in May 1917.