Author Topic: Shettleston death in 1912 - where buried?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Shettleston death in 1912 - where buried?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
If the children were in Glasgow area and still minors when John was killed, there might be some information in the Glasgow Poor Law records - someone would have had to look after them, and if they were in Glasgow and there were no relatives nearby the Parochial Board would have got involved.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 December 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
It's possible the children were sent back down to Wearside for Elizabeth's parents (who were both still alive) to bring up. I've found John Jr's death in Sunderland, age 18. The notice in the Sunderland Echo mentioned the cortege leaving his grandmother Mrs Swinney's house. She also submitted an acknowledgements notice a few days later. Although it's also possible John Jr just returned there when he reached adulthood.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
looks like this could be your lady.

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 January 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Shettleston fits for the Bottle-works, still there in my time. A lot of Glasgow glassmakers were English or Irish.

Skoosh.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
            I used to work in a fish factory next to a bottle works in Shettleston, away back in the 1970's.        It was in Old Shettleston Road, which is parallel to Shettleston's busiest street, which is Shettleston Road.    Vesalius Street is one of the side roads running off Shettleston Road,  and isn't far from the Bottle Factory.       I am not sure if it still exists.      I was in its canteen once.

In fact, Vasalius Street runs from Shettleston Road to Old Shettleston Road

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 19 19:59 GMT (UK) »
 Was that Unkles, Doddsie? I more familiar with the Drum, so were the bottlemakers!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 January 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
     Gosh!!!      Somebody remembers Uncles.      They changed their name to Scofisco and then closed down around 1978.      We were all made redundant.       What a place that was!    I loved it though!

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 January 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
United Glass (UGB) works was located adjacent to the railway just to the west of Shettleston Station.

I think the works went under the name "NORTH BRITISH BOTTLE WORKS, SHETTLESTON", and was eventually closed down in 1983.

The following link is to a photograph of the works on "Canmore" (https://canmore.org.uk/collection/603709)

Istrice

Offline crawfordtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Catchside was interred into Sandymount Cemetery on 14th April 1912 into Section M Lair 600. I believe this may have been common ground at this Cemetery.