Author Topic: John Egan and what it says in the papers  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Egan and what it says in the papers
« on: Friday 07 December 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Rev. John Egan CC died 28 June 1872 aged 29 from smallpox he was serving in the parish of Kilcullen (Kildare) and was buried in the newly built church. Born about 1842.

According to a newspaper report on his funeral he had a cousin Rev. John Egan Vice President of Ennis College (later Most Rev.John Egan bishop of Waterford and Lismore) and Rev C Egan CC Lorrha  his brother.
There is a Cornealius Egan on marriages for Lorrha Parish (Tipperary) in 1872.

Cornealius died 1907 his cousin the late Most Rev John Egan is mentioned on the report of his death. The 1901 census and his death cert give his date of birth 1838/39, his cousin about the same both men are said to come from Dunkerrin in Queens County (Offaly). The younger John Egan CC isn't mentioned when either of these men died and no parents are given in any of the funeral reports.

There is a baptism of a Cornelius Egan 24 July 1838 to Gilbert Egan and Mary Meagher https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634656#page/109/mode/1up
and there is a John Egan baptised the 21 Jan 1839 to Egan and Ellen Meara
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634656#page/112/mode/1up
but I can't find a John Egan to Gilbert and Mary.

There is a John 1841 to Pat and Catherine Brogan
another 1843 to Denis and Johanna O'Brien
another 1844 to Pat and Mary Kennedy.

Given how reliable newspapers can be (I just read one that claimed my grandfather served in WWI, he didn't he served in the Boer War) do you think "Rev C. Eagn CC brother of the deceased" is a red herring or have I just made a bags of the whole search?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: John Egan and what it says in the papers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Where did they study for the priesthood? Chances are that the college records will contain details of their parents - and you have three priests that you can check on.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 18 00:20 GMT (UK) »
I'll check the newspaper clippings again tomorrow. I know Bishop John and Corneilius were ordained together in 1862, think it was in Dublin, can't remember if it said were they studied.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My father found Fr John's grave when he was putting central heating in the church, afterwards he always sat next to that spot when he attended mass so I'm trying to find out at much about Fr John as I can in memory of my Dad. A plaque has been put up since my father died so John won't be lost again.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 18 01:29 GMT (UK) »
In addition to college records - which certainly exist - there is also the possibility that the diocese(s)  into which they were ordained may have records.  For example, there is a published book containing mini biographies of the secular clergy of the diocese of Ferns.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
According to this source, Bishop Egan was born 19/1/1839 in Dunnkerin.
http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop//beganj.html

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 18 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Probably totally irrelevant to your Egan but these Utah Egans would be very well documented if anyone thinks they have a link.

whoweareandwherewecamefrom.blogspot.com/2011/08/pony-express-in-my-family.html

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Both Cornelius and Bishop John studied in Maynooth.
Looking at their site it doesn't look very encouraging but I'll try contacting the College Archivist. No harm in asking.
http://seminary.maynoothcollege.ie/archives/

Offline Colk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 February 20 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I am an Aussie Keegan, descended from a County Longford Keegan, convicted to Australia in 1834. Interesting article and I note the discussions around the reverend Egans and from where they came. Egan / Keegan derives from MacAodogain - Brehons and I was wondering if any Egans connected to this Post have tested YDNA. I have undertaken FTDNA BigY 700 and have am downstream of R-BY198, distinctive to the Group 2 Egan / Keegan members at the FTDNA Egan Group Project - https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/clan-egan
There is a distinct difference between Group 1 and 2 in DNA which indicates one Group is of MacAodogain and the other not. Cheers.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 February 20 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Hi I started this thread but I don't have any connection to the Egan line was just trying to find out more about Fr John Egan.