Author Topic: Advice on genealogy websites please  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on genealogy websites please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 18 06:12 GMT (UK) »
I happened upon this list for The Genealogist the other day while looking for something else entirely.  I had failed to find it when I specifically looked on their website for information on their PR coverage.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/coverage/parish-records/warwickshire/?affid=fiuhwk&level=diamond#includes

As you can see, they are cagey about what images they have.  I suspect it's not a large proportion, or they would be more forthcoming with that information.

The database records consist of easily searched transcripts of the original records which allow you to search them on various fields and may also have linked images of the original registers.

They are not being cagey at all in the link you give they are very upfront and tell you -
"These are available in two main formats, database (Transcripts) and searchable book images (Printed Books)." They do not claim the list includes any images of parish registers

You then show quote from somewhere else which covers a different set of records so of which link to original parish register images..

Finally, just to correct your statement:
Parish Registers hold no records of births or deaths ;D
But they DO have Baptisms and Burials.

Sorry you are wrong KGarrad some parish registers do show Births and Deaths (as they were required to do by various Acts of Parliament since 1644) as well as Baptisms & Burials.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 December 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I happened upon this list for The Genealogist the other day while looking for something else entirely.  I had failed to find it when I specifically looked on their website for information on their PR coverage.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/coverage/parish-records/warwickshire/?affid=fiuhwk&level=diamond#includes

As you can see, they are cagey about what images they have.  I suspect it's not a large proportion, or they would be more forthcoming with that information.

The database records consist of easily searched transcripts of the original records which allow you to search them on various fields and may also have linked images of the original registers.

They are not being cagey at all in the link you give they are very upfront and tell you -
"These are available in two main formats, database (Transcripts) and searchable book images (Printed Books)." They do not claim the list includes any images of parish registers

You then show quote from somewhere else which covers a different set of records so of which link to original parish register images..

No, Guy, the quote was from the same page, showing the list of Warwickshire parishes as an example.  Perhaps you have to click on a specific parish to see it, or you didn't scroll down far enough.

"They do not claim the list includes any images of parish registers"
No, but they strongly imply that some do, without telling you which ones.  I would want to know that before subscribing.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 December 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
It's always worth checking out your library. Many have access to Ancestry and/or FindMyPast on their PCs, and you can usually download to a USB stick to take things home. My local library also has things like the Times Digital Archive.

Most sites do periodic "free access" periods, or free trials where you can sign up to try them out - don't forget to cancel before the end of the free period!

I also use my local family history society's research centre, which luckily for me is only a couple of miles away. They have world subs to FindMyPast and Ancestry Library Edition. I currently have my own subs, but am considering letting one or other lapse.

I used to have a sub to The Genealogist, but everything I wanted to see seemed to need a more expensive sub than I could afford. They were pretty good on non-conformist registers in the areas I wanted to look at.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.