Author Topic: James Barr and Margaret McTernan Marriage  (Read 3543 times)

Offline wobblybetty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Barr and Margaret McTernan Marriage
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 December 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
As Annie has mentioned, in respect of Margaret McTiernan, I can only see the two surnames for her death reg in 1966. Are we right to think she did not remarry after the death of James?

Did James and Margaret have children after they married on 31 Dec 1918?

Do you know any of the addresses/areas that James and Margaret (and your grandfather James B) lived in post marriage?

Monica

I don't know if she re-married or not. I'm not sure how 'young' he died-could have been industry death in coal mining, WW1, or illness.
I don't believe they had any children after they were married, none that anyone in the family have mentioned.
I don't know any of the addresses/areas, except that my Grandfather must have met my Grandmother in his teens as he was only 17 when they married. My Maternal Grandmother was born in Hartlepool. I'm not sure what my Grandfather would have done as an occupation so young, but he was in the Army in WW2 and then the Fire Service for the rest of his life.

Bit of a riddle!

Offline wobblybetty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 December 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
The James on the 1911 is with a family

Hugh 57
Christine 53
James 16
Jane 9

Annie

Add, same family 1901 (Jane not yet born)

BARR HUGH 42
692/1 12/A 59 Leith North, Midlothian

My brother searched both Census and found Margaret living with her Step-Father and her Mother, so at least I now where Margaret was before she married:

'Ann went on to have another 5 children, 3 of whom died as small kids. Total of 8 children.

They all lived as the Hughes family in “Oak Villa”, Edgefield Road, Loanhead. It had 3 rooms with more than 1 window.
In 1901 census they lived at Foundry Lane. (Joseph 50, Ann 45, Robert 16, James 15, Mary 3, Joseph 1, Margaret McTernan step daughter 6, Joseph 81). 4 rooms with more than 1 window.
Where is Patrick aged 10???
In 1911 census they lived in Oakvilla, (Joseph – husband 62, Ann 45, Robert 25, Patrick 20, Margaret 13, Helen 8, Edward 3)
In 1915 Valuation rolls. Joseph ran a business from Foundry Lane'

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 09 December 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
WB,

I meant to ask if you'd noticed whether there was a 'Correction' (RCE) entry on James Butlers' birth?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wobblybetty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 09 December 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
WB, you are familiar with the valuation rolls from what you have mentioned.

Just looking at the elector rolls for 1914-15 and the valuation rolls. Owner and tenants at 32 Melville Street show as:

George Macallan - Proprietor Occupier of both 32 and 34 Melville Street (he shows as a Hotel Keeper)
Andrew Cavaye - Tenant Occupier, a Cask Maker
Claude Niven Marshall - Joint Tenant Occupier, a stockbroker (from Electoral Rolls)

It is interesting that your g grandfather was born at this address that potentially mother Margaret worked at. As has been mentioned, you would have thought her employers would have sent her elsewhere for the birth.

Monica

Monica,
I also found that odd, that Margaret would give birth at the address she worked at as a Domestic Servant, and not be dismissed or sent elsewhere. But then three years later is at Oak Villa according to her Marriage Certificate, presumably with her parents, James McTernan and Anne McTernan.