Author Topic: Need help with signature on painting  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Need help with signature on painting
« on: Saturday 08 December 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

Normally I try and help other people in this section, but today I have a question of my own.  ;D

In 1985, my then husband and I bought a painting from a gallery in Rayleigh, Essex. There were a number of similar paintings from the same artist in the gallery, mainly masses of blue with old ships.  :) It's a matter of taste, but I really liked the painting.

It came with me into my second marriage, but we haven't seen it hanging for a few years - it's been up on top of a wardrobe for a long time.

Just recently I took it down and looked at it. For the first time, it occurred to me that I have no idea who painted it. So I googled what I thought I could see and came up with...zilch. OK, a photographer, and an artist who produces works which are very different from "my ships".

I have looked on the Internet and can't find a gallery on the main road through Rayleigh. OK, it was 33 years ago...  :o So I can't call them.  ???

Here is the signature:

What I see is Hohing. Which is a pretty unusual name. The name definitely ends in "g". After the "g", there is a little dot/flourish on the canvas - it is not another letter. I thought I'd better point that out, as the photos are not brilliant and it might look as though there is another letter after the "g".

From experience I know that Google & Co. can function differently in different countries, so maybe I'm not getting all the possibilities showing here.

Any ideas?  :)

I look forward to your replies & suggestions!

Best regards,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with signature on painting
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if it was Haling, though that means an extra hook at the bottom of the 'l'. Not that it helped much.

However, I did discover a Rayleigh Art Group (https://rayleighart.wordpress.com/) - I wonder if anyone there might know of him/her?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Could be Charles Holing?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Holring

Add - or  the lr is an h as you suggest - Hah or Hoh or Halr or Holr  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
@arthurk
Many thanks for that! I'll give them a try.  :)

@Treetotal
I've just googled him. His style is very different (not that that is conclusive  ???) but I have found a couple of photos of him and if they are fairly recent, I don't think he could be old enough.

@Gadget
I've just been googling the name, but can't find anything... :-[
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »

@Gadget
I've just been googling the name, but can't find anything... :-[

I've been doing a global search on the various genealogy sites. There are various people with similar surnames but mostly on ships lists!

It could be that it's not a famous artist. There are lots of minor ones that I know of that you'd not find on Google - not mentioning any names!

Is it worth contacting the various private art galleries in the area to check if anyone might know?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 December 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Nearest are in Leigh. This looks promising:

http://www.estuarygallery.com/

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 December 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Nearest are in Leigh. This looks promising:

http://www.estuarygallery.com/

I've just written to Ian. Many thanks!  :)

I doubt if the artist became famous, but I find it a little weird that there is absolutely nothing about him/her on the Internet...

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 December 18 08:04 GMT (UK) »
However, I did discover a Rayleigh Art Group (https://rayleighart.wordpress.com/) - I wonder if anyone there might know of him/her?

I wrote to RAG yesterday and a very helpful man named Colin wrote back almost immediately. He told me that the people who used to own the gallery in Rayleigh now have a business in another town (still in Essex).
So I have now written to that gallery and am hoping that the owners can remember the artist.

Fingers crossed!  :D

And thanks again, arthurk!

Best regards,
Karen