Author Topic: Marriage of Thomas Bywaters and Susannah ?  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage of Thomas Bywaters and Susannah ?
« on: Saturday 08 December 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and his wife were born in 1788, Thomas in Great Paxton and Susannah in Ringstead, Northants according to the 1851 census.  I am searching for their marriage record, probably in Great Paxton around 1810-1825.  I believe Susannah's maiden name was Silby, but can't now find the reference for this.  Can anyone help, please?  Thomas seems to have died in 1860, and I think the death of Susannah is recorded in 1864 in Gt Paxton (St Neots) as Susan.  She appears in the 1871 census with her daughter and family.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas Bywaters and Susannah ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has a marriage 11 October 1797 in All Saints, Buckworth between Thomas Bywaters and Susanna Spilby.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your very quick answer, Emeltom.  So that's where that record came from!  And Spilby, not Silby. 

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
the marriage date doesn't fit with y.o.b.- they would only have been age 9 in 1797?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Also if Susanna's death is 1864 she cannot appear in the 1871 Census.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, I made a typo in the post re the marriage. Susannah's surname was Silby. Also in the entry for the marriage it states that Thomas is from the parish of Offord Cluney. There is a baptism for a Thomas Bywaters in Offord Cluney in 1771 parents John and Ann.

Emeltom

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
You're absolutely right!  Sometimes we don't see things that are staring us in the face ( :-[  It's definitely the right Susannah with her family in the 1871, so will look for a later death for her. 
Thanks again.  Have noted the surname change.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 December 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I can only find Susan Bywaters in 1851 and 1861 Censuses which fits with the 1864 death you have found. What's the reference for the 1871 Census?

Emeltom

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 December 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
My turn for a typo, I'm afraid. I'm a decade out. :-[

I have census records as follows:
1841 Thomas and Susannah Bywaters , both aged 52-56
1851      "        "            "                     both aged 63
1861  Susannah Bywaters with daughter Martha Fairey and family aged 73

I realise that a birth year of 1788 calculated from the census ages would make them impossibly young for their marriage in 1797, so can only conclude that they didn't really know how old they were!

Susannah doesn't appear to be around in 1871, so the death year of 1864 would fit, but I'm a bit surprised not to be able to find Martha and her husband there either.  They didn't emigrate to NZ till 1874 - I have the ship's log showing them and their unfortunate loss of their youngest child on board during an epidemic of measles.

As always, more questions than answers. :)